Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

CPU Render V-RayNext ignores all maps to the 3ds Max standard material.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CPU Render V-RayNext ignores all maps to the 3ds Max standard material.

The CPU Production Render of V-Ray Next 4.02.04 ignores all maps to the 3ds Max standard material.
    It is a direct assignment, not a sub material of a VRay material.
    (GPU render has no problem)

This is a fatal problem. Many users can not switch to Next.

Chaos should issue a patch immediately.
    Last edited by flat; 10-06-2018, 09:05 PM.

OakCorp Japan - Yuji Yamauchi
    oakcorp.net
    v-ray.jp

I am not using V-Ray Next but I think I read that it dropped support for standard material because it crippled the performance.

mekene

Comment

Originally posted by theedge View Post
      I am not using V-Ray Next but I think I read that it dropped support for standard material because it crippled the performance.
      That's correct. It's not a bug.
      If it was that easy, it would have already been done

Peter Matanov
      Chaos

Comment

Originally posted by slizer View Post
        That's correct. It's not a bug.
        Are you seriously saying that?

There are no release notes or announcements that the Diffuse map of standard material is completely out of support. Why do not Chaos announce such a big change? (It is a very big change in V-Ray 15 years history.)

This is a very important issue in terms of workflow. Standard material (Diffuse Color and map) is often used as material that does not depend on renderers. Also, there are many complaints that map is not displayed when switching from old version to V-Ray Next. They will soon return to 3.6.

Also, if you do not support it, V-Ray should automatically change to VRayMtl or display a warning if you detect Standard material.

Anyway, the Diffuse Map of standard material should be supported.

oakcorp.net
        v-ray.jp

Comment

Can't you just convert your scene to v-ray materials with the v-ray scene converter? Is there a specific reason for using the standard material other than compatibility with other renderers?

Comment

Originally posted by flat View Post
            This is a very important issue in terms of workflow. Standard material (Diffuse Color and map)...
            We could implement support for the color and opacity map, but not more than that. Would that be enough?

Best regards,
            Vlado
            Last edited by vlado; 11-06-2018, 01:37 PM.
            I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

The biggest problem is that "V-Ray NEXT no longer supports Standaed Material at all" in the release notes and documents.
              If confirmed in the release notes, I did not get confused.

Especially, there are no notes or warnings, and if there is no problem with the GPU renderer, I think the user is a bug.

Ideally, however, a warning message will be displayed, and support of the standard material will be completely aborted. Like ARNOLD RENDER.

oakcorp.net
              v-ray.jp

Comment

Okay, you're right - there should be a warning.

Best regards,
                Vlado
                Last edited by vlado; 11-06-2018, 11:22 PM.
                I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

In addition to Diffuse/Opacity, can I suggest adding Self Illumination value to that support, mainly for quick mattes and backgrounds.
                  thanks
                  anthonyh

Comment

Even though I personally haven't used standard materials since the V-Ray material was introduced I do know people that still rely on standard materials even though they know it hampers performance which I don't understand but to each their own, but to completely eliminate support for the material and only have it in the release notes is just a poor idea IMHO, for such a substantial change and to some people I think it is going to be a huge adjustment I agree with the above that there should be some sort of warning for non supported materials/shaders
                    Cheers,
                    -dave
                    â–  ASUS ROG STRIX X399-E - 1950X â–  ASUS ROG STRIX X399-E - 2990WX â–  ASUS PRIME X399 - 2990WX â–  GIGABYTE AORUS X399 - 2990WX â–  ASUS Maximus Extreme XI with i9-9900k â– 

Comment

Originally posted by vlado View Post
                      We could implement support for the color and opacity map, but not more than that. Would that be enough?

Best regards,
                      Vlado
                      It would be great to have a simple bitmap in the diffuse slot because right now we can't use the Populate people. It uses standard materials and converting to vraymtl is not an option.

Last edited by Inaxis; 04-09-2018, 01:19 AM.
                      Kind regards,
                      Zsombor

www.brickvisual.com

Comment

Yeah, a few ancillary plugins rely on the diffuse slot of a standard material for various things (pflow too, if i recall right. it's been a while.), and some of those have not been updated in a while (or ever) to consider anything else.
                        Major gripe of mine with old Max code.
                        Lele
                        Trouble Stirrer in RnD @ Chaos
                        ----------------------
                        emanuele.lecchi@chaos.com

Disclaimer:
                        The views and opinions expressed here are my own and do not represent those of Chaos Group, unless otherwise stated.

Comment

Originally posted by Inaxis View Post

It would be great to have a simple bitmap in the diffuse slot because right now we can't use the Populate people. It uses standard materials and converting to vraymtl is not an option.
                          Bitmaps assigned to the diffuse slot should work fine in the latest official version.

Peter Matanov
                          Chaos

Comment

Originally posted by slizer View Post

Bitmaps assigned to the diffuse slot should work fine in the latest official version.

Just checked the version that we have installed on our workstations and nodes: max 2019 (21.0.0.845) + vray next (4.02.04.00001) As far as I can see this is the latest official version. The texure is not showing on material editor and in the render too.
                            Kind regards,
                            Zsombor

www.brickvisual.com

Comment

Originally posted by Inaxis View Post

Just checked the version that we have installed on our workstations and nodes: max 2019 (21.0.0.845) + vray next (4.02.04.00001) As far as I can see this is the latest official version. The texure is not showing on material editor and in the render too.
                              The last one is 4.02.04.00004. Please download the installation again from our website.

Peter Matanov
                              Chaos

Comment

Working...
                              X