Vray Volume Light

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vray Volume Light

i don't know if there is a way of doing this because its so basic and i cant believe its not there so am not sure maybe i don't know a way of doing it
    so if anyone can enlighten me would be much appreciated

can i make a volume light on V-ray lights ?
    like the 3dsmax's very basic spot/direct lights volume light ? can i make a volume light that only affects specific V-ray light planes/discs ?

or can the Vrayenvironmentfog have like exclude/include lights dialog helping us achieving this
    i tried to use the lights dialog of the vrayenvironment fog but something is off

i attached a screenshot explaining the problem
    this is by far as much as i can get about this effect

am using vray next update 1.1
    Last edited by Arch.Hany; 31-01-2019, 03:05 PM.

a similar question was asked here, however they used standard 3dsmax volume lights, as a workaround, but were asking if there were any plans to add a vray volume light effect.

https://forums.chaosgroup.com/forum/...y-volume-light

Comment

after some testing the problem is that VrayEnvironmentFog affect all lights and there is no way we can completely exclude any light (not only the dome light) from it

the attached picture shows how the scene got really dark after using vray fog

so i hope they fix it or give us the vray light volume fog option

Comment

will there be any response from support ??

Comment

So there's two things - one is the max volume fog is limited to the cone of light you put it in, the vray one is a volume that's filling the entire scene (up to your fog height). Since the vray fog has actual thickness, it can block light, similar to haze or smoke in the air. The second part of this is lighting your shot before you've got everything in there - you'll likely have to compensate for this new fog object that's blocking light in your scene by increasing the power of the dome light. You can try lowering your fog height so there's less of it to block light or make your fog distance much bigger so that the fog that is there is far thinner!

Chaos don't tend to do unphysical things if possible so I'm not sure if they'd be inclined to add in fog that's only in the light volume and nowhere else in the shot. You could run your fog as a second pass and add in in comp which'd give you a bit more flexibility after.

Comment

You can also add in env gizmos as well to limit it so specific areas. i struggled with this but learnt to up my exposure a few stops with heavy fog and add a vray atmosphere pass to add more in post easily.

Comment

Well the vrayenvironmentfog has a lights dialog where you only add lights that want to affect fog particles thats doesn't sound very physical afterall
              and thats actually a good option that is very useful we are artists after all

all i want is a way to completely exclude lights
              or have this already existing lights dialog work correctly

if that is achieved a vray light volume fog will be easily achievable

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	2346
Size:	76.8 KB
ID:	1025343Click image for larger version

Name:	2.jpg
Views:	2312
Size:	84.7 KB
ID:	1025344 .............

Comment

vlado

please help us on this topic

Comment

support please

Comment

A month without official support, that's not good. It must have slipped through the cracks.
                      Bobby Parker
                      www.bobby-parker.com
                      e-mail: info@bobby-parker.com
                      phone: 2188206812

My current hardware setup:
                      • Ryzen 9 5900x CPU
                      • 128gb Vengeance RGB Pro RAM
                      • NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4090
                      • ​Windows 11 Pro

Comment

nevermind...
                        Last edited by Morne; 25-02-2019, 01:38 AM. Reason: post too negative
                        Kind Regards,
                        Morne

Comment

this excluding a light from env fog actually works totally fine, lol......did you actually try it?
                          check the file.
                          https://www.dropbox.com/s/hp2mn2w4he...clude.max?dl=0

Comment

squintnic
                            its 3ds max 2019 version so i cant open it since i only have 2018

but i would like to mention that this problem i know multiple users that encountered it so i think you're missing something

Morne
                            i would like to understand why you see this post too negative ?!

Comment

Originally posted by Arch.Hany View Post

Morne
                              i would like to understand why you see this post too negative ?!
                              I meant I deleted MY comment, because it was too negative and off topic
                              Kind Regards,
                              Morne

Comment

Working...
                              X