black pixel around lights

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• black pixel around lights

this is really bothering me for a long time now... I render without "sub pixel mapping" and "color clamp", it's also recommended (for vray next) in the help, but then all lights has these black pixels around the edge, because the withe pixels are so over bright. of course you can blend them with a high vray lens effect, but your light appears much bigger then, because you have to use a mutiplier about 5 or 10.

so watching on the corona site, there are no such problems... why in vray? is this fixable?

I would really appreciate a solution for this soon. I hope every time when an update is released to get a fix for this issue, but...

all the best and stay healthy.

best regards
    themaxxer
    Pixelschmiede GmbH
    www.pixelschmiede.ch

what AA filter are you using? If it's a sharpening one (like Catmull-Rom or Mitchell-Netravali), that might be (part of?) the problem.
    www.DanielBuck.net - www.My46Willys.com - www.33Chevy.net - www.DNSFail.com

Comment

no, "vray lancos" the vray default one...
      Pixelschmiede GmbH
      www.pixelschmiede.ch

Comment

A scene to support would help figuring it out.
        Lele
        Trouble Stirrer in RnD @ Chaos
        ----------------------
        emanuele.lecchi@chaos.com

Disclaimer:
        The views and opinions expressed here are my own and do not represent those of Chaos Group, unless otherwise stated.

Comment

well, it's in every scene... here an image: https://c2n.me/477HzT7.png
          but here I applied some lenseffects to hide the black pixels
          Pixelschmiede GmbH
          www.pixelschmiede.ch

Comment

I have that as well with bloom/glare.
            Bobby Parker
            www.bobby-parker.com
            e-mail: info@bobby-parker.com
            phone: 2188206812

My current hardware setup:
            • Ryzen 9 5900x CPU
            • 128gb Vengeance RGB Pro RAM
            • NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4090
            • ​Windows 11 Pro

Comment

yes, but it's more visible without bloom/glare... I applied glare to hide it, somewhat.
              Pixelschmiede GmbH
              www.pixelschmiede.ch

Comment

I have to ask: do you have a LUT applied?
                What you see smells awfully as negative colours, which can happen either because of a negative-component filter (As Buck suggested) or because some LUT is playing havoc with pixels outside of its valid range.
                I can tell you i have absolutely no issue with hyperbrights, and besides those two cases, i can't think of any other part of V-Ray coming into play to produce those (i.e. we are wholly linear, and unclamped -in output-, by default.).
                The request for a scene to support remains current.

Below, a light with default multiplier of 30, over a plane with a gray diffuse.

Click image for larger version

Name:	unclamped.png
Views:	867
Size:	140.6 KB
ID:	1067318
                Last edited by ^Lele^; 21-04-2020, 02:07 AM.
                Lele
                ----------------------

Disclaimer:
                The views and opinions expressed here are my own and do not represent those of Chaos Group, unless otherwise stated.

Comment

^Lele^ hm, you are right. I have to admit that I always used the VraySinc filter, but I don't wanted to... In a fresh scene with everything default I have no artifacts, but when I switch to VraySinc then I get them... I have to test now if LUT's also tend to artifacts as suggested from you. thank you for sorting out. I have learned a lot and I have to think about my workflows...
                  so, would it be better to not use any filters? it's a bit sad ther's no info about the Vray filters in the help, maybe this would help a lot of people to learn more about those implementations.

best regards
                  themaxxer
                  Last edited by themaxxer; 21-04-2020, 06:49 AM.
                  Pixelschmiede GmbH
                  www.pixelschmiede.ch

Comment

No problem, glad it's sorted!
                    By all means, filter your renders.
                    The choice is varied, but keep in mind that many of the currently available choices are there for compatibility, rather than preference.
                    The preferred filter type, VRayLanczos, has been modified to retain its sharp qualities, but not have a negative component, thereby not producing artifacts.
                    Notice that at default, it's as sharp as a box 1, or no filtering at all (i.e. it'd be hard to tell the difference in a normal image, you'd maybe able to tell on moire' patterns and the like), but will still do a better job than those in animations.
                    The help page is somewhat outdated (in that it doesn't cover all filter types.), but the info contained is still valid.
                    Lele
                    ----------------------

Disclaimer:

Comment

Originally posted by themaxxer View Post
                      no, "vray lancos" the vray default one...
                      So this was a lie then, right?
                      https://www.behance.net/Oliver_Kossatz

Comment

Working...
                      X