Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Proper naming for new created lights (VrayDome, VrayRect...)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Proper naming for new created lights (VrayDome, VrayRect...)

Hello,
    as everybody knows, keeping files tidy is essential.

It starts when creating lights and giving them proper names.
    But every light created from Vray is only "VrayLight", even the Icon doesn't give any hint, what kind of light it is.

A Dome light should be named by default VrayLightDome, RectLight of course VrayRectLight etc.

In Maya is this already standard, I have no idea why this was forgotten to implement in 3dsMax, too.

I find myself a lot renaming and double-checking lights, jumping between property panel and Scene explorer. Completely unnneccessery and for sure a simple line of codingin the UI.

Thanks

+1 to this.
    https://www.behance.net/Oliver_Kossatz

Comment

+1 please implement this

Comment

In Maya we have separate dedicated light types, whereas in 3ds Max we really only have one light with a drop-down to change the type. We can rename the node with the light type that is selected at the time of creation, but what are the expectations if the user switches the light type to something else?

Best regards,
        Vlado
        I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

After clicking the drop-down item to choose the light type, is it possible to automatically rename the light? That's what would make the most sense to me.

Comment

Originally posted by Moriah View Post
            After clicking the drop-down item to choose the light type, is it possible to automatically rename the light? That's what would make the most sense to me.
            It's possible, but I know users that will be extremely unhappy if things change their name suddenly (because they use scripts etc).

Best regards,
            Vlado
            I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

Maybe a checkbox for enabling/disabling auto renaming could work for everyone.

Comment

These do that.
                https://forums.chaosgroup.com/forum/...creation-tools
                Lele
                Trouble Stirrer in RnD @ Chaos
                ----------------------
                emanuele.lecchi@chaos.com

Disclaimer:
                The views and opinions expressed here are my own and do not represent those of Chaos Group, unless otherwise stated.

Comment

Additional suggestion: slightly different Icon for
                  - light targets
                  - and also camera targets
                  (it could be just a different color to make it easier)

I can tell, it's not only for own scenes, where it would be great help.
                  I'm also getting foreign scenes with long lists of similar looking items, which hurt the eyes at the end of the day and take more time to understand...

Any automatic naming and maybe a bit visual help with "target" icons would be great.

Comment

wirecolor for lights and cameras and shapes for targets (which are geometry, nulls.) are standard for Max.
                    I'd not want them changed, personally, by default.
                    But then, i'm irked also by the change in looks of the different camera types, so perhaps i am not one to listen to.

As for automatic naming, you only need to look at what, f.e., the material editor does.
                    Add a single texture to any shader in one of those old, old evermotion scenes, and your *unique* auto name will look like "map #730987302".
                    The behavior is across all of max, and as far as i know, across *any* other application of the sort.
                    A "vrayRectLight" would turn into "vrayRectLight_67832626" given the right scene.

There is no automatic process which can cater for user laziness in naming: so much so one of the key points of pipeline work is precisely around spending time to properly name nodes.

But you can surely peruse the max rename tool, and make some sense into your scene data.
                    Lele
                    Trouble Stirrer in RnD @ Chaos
                    ----------------------
                    emanuele.lecchi@chaos.com

Disclaimer:
                    The views and opinions expressed here are my own and do not represent those of Chaos Group, unless otherwise stated.

Comment

Working...
                    X