Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I wish for a super easy test render button.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I wish for a super easy test render button.

I wish for a test render button that does this:
    Render the current frame of the currently focused viewport without saving anything. A sequence is NOT rendered, just the current time frame. No render elements get saved, no images get saved and no questions are asked of the user. Nothing ever gets saved. This test render can be cancelled instantly without processing render elements.
    The point is to get in and out of a test render as fast as possible with no questions or delays, always rendering the current frame of the currently selected viewport without the user having to change any settings in the renderer.
    I would love a set of these test render buttons that would render 100%, 50% and 25% of the current resolution. Also a button that renders this test frame progressive or bucket without being sticky.
    Have the buttons lined up in a tool bar, no pull down menus.
    Thanks
    Andy
    Last edited by AndyMurdock; 24-04-2022, 09:01 AM.

Here you go: run it, click any of the six buttons. It expects V-Ray to be the current renderer, no checks are done for that.

It comes without support. use at your own risk.
    Also, feel free to edit and expand on it: i tried keeping the script flow human readable.

It could be turned into a set of macroscripts, simply removing the rollout, and using the code inside each of the rollout buttons.
    It will require *six* macroscripts to be able to call each of the option individually with a keyboard shortcut, so i preferred this way, which is much neater, and requires just as much effort to use (if you leave it open somewhere, it won't do anything at all besides stealing some minor desktop space).
    Attached Files
    Last edited by ^Lele^; 25-04-2022, 08:23 AM.
    Lele
    Trouble Stirrer in RnD @ Chaos
    ----------------------
    emanuele.lecchi@chaos.com

Disclaimer:
    The views and opinions expressed here are my own and do not represent those of Chaos Group, unless otherwise stated.

Comment

Lele, did you have this already made? Thanks!
      Andy

Comment

No, i just cooked it up.
        Was about to reply saying we have to cater for many DCCs and user cases, and thought it was quicker to just write one.
        Speaking of being quick, i have not thought about the sequence. Expect a -hopefully minor- update asap.
        EDIT: nvm, it won't render a sequence, as i used the "render" command, which wants it specified, otherwise it'll always render just the current frame, and current viewport.
        Last edited by ^Lele^; 25-04-2022, 06:23 AM.
        Lele
        ----------------------

Disclaimer:
        The views and opinions expressed here are my own and do not represent those of Chaos Group, unless otherwise stated.

Comment

Well thank you very much. I installed it and tweaked it into my toolbar set. Works great!.
          Is there anyway to avoid having the stock Max Rendered Frame Window open up? I use the VRay VBF exclusively

Andy

Comment

Originally posted by AndyMurdock View Post
            Well thank you very much. I installed it and tweaked it into my toolbar set. Works great!.
            Is there anyway to avoid having the stock Max Rendered Frame Window open up? I use the VRay VBF exclusively

Andy
            Agh, my bad.
            Change the line that says
            Code:
            render()
            (line 147 in the original layout)
            to
            Code:
            render vfb:off
            or re-download the file attached to my post above (i didn't version it up).
            Lele
            ----------------------

Disclaimer:

Comment

Was just testing: little bug, it throws an error when the render setup dialog is open.
              A.

---------------------
              www.digitaltwins.be

Comment

Originally posted by Vizioen View Post
                Was just testing: little bug, it throws an error when the render setup dialog is open.
                Umh, not for me.
                Could you show me the error text?
                Lele
                ----------------------

Disclaimer:

Comment

Thanks again Lele
                  This simple script makes a big difference in speeding up workflow.
                  Bull's Eye
                  Andy

Comment

Glad to have been of use.
                    HF!
                    Lele
                    ----------------------

Disclaimer:

Comment

Working...
                    X