Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• light lister

Hi
    Please keep the menus always visible, it is not very convenient with many lights. Thank you.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.png
Views:	300
Size:	17.8 KB
ID:	1186110
    Best Regards

Tomek

Portfolio: http://dtown.pl/

Hi, thank you for sharing! We are planning to improve the lister and this detail is taken into consideration. We are preparing some nice additions, so I hope you might be pleasantly surprised.

Comment

A new lister that combines Camera and Light listers can be found in the new V-Ray 6 Update 2.
      More about the release here.

Comment

Please add a Rotation Slider for Domelights in the new LightLister
        Thank you chaos group for the new light lister. It would be a great addition, if you could give us the option, to rotate a Domelight with an attached HDR directly within the light lister. horizontal and vertical. Also a nice addition would be a texture selector/dropdown, to change textures attachted to light sources directly within the light lister.​

Comment

Hi, a rotation of the HDRI could be done in the VRayBitmap texture. Nevertheless, this is a property of the texture, not the light itself. If you want to control the direction of the HDRI with the light, you could lock the map to the dome by clicking on the "Lock texture to icon" checkbox. The idea of the Light Lister is to provide all the nooks and crannies available in the light settings more conveniently.
          Currently, loading a map from the Lister is not possible, but we plan to improve it in the near future. Once you click on the map button you will see the window showing you your destination folder with the HDRIs and their preview as you currently could do from the Light settings.
          The main goal is to have all the settings from the Modify panel in the Lister.
          Thank you for your suggestions and support!
          Last edited by dimitar_panayotov; 05-12-2023, 03:33 AM.

Comment

Is there any way to add the Lock/Unlock "View to Render" to the Lister, because you could focus so much on the Lister side of things (as I just did) but if your View to Render is locked, Override 3DS Max's Resolution (for example) won't update in the viewport or be applied when rendering.
            Last edited by JezUK; 05-12-2023, 11:56 PM. Reason: I thought Override 3DS Max's Resolution wasn't working, turned out that View to Render was set to locked in Max's Render Dialog box
            Jez

------------------------------------
            3DS Max 2023.3.4 | V-Ray 6.10.08 | Phoenix FD 4.40.00 | PD Player 64 1.0.7.32 | Forest Pack Pro 8.2.2 | RailClone 6.1.3
            Windows 11 Pro 22H2 | NVidia Drivers 535.98 (Game Drivers)

Asus X299 Sage (Bios 4001), i9-7980xe, 128Gb, 1TB m.2 OS, 2 x NVidia RTX 3090 FE
            ---- Updated 06/09/23 -------

Comment

It would be nice if the light lister had some indication that an include or exclude list was in use, and ideally provides access to that list.

Maybe a button with a tool tip that lists the excluded or included objects (obviously that can only handle so many, but a lot of the time it is just a few objects in the list).

Also, directionality would be nice. Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by dimitar_panayotov View Post
                Hi, a rotation of the HDRI could be done in the VRayBitmap texture. Nevertheless, this is a property of the texture, not the light itself. If you want to control the direction of the HDRI with the light, you could lock the map to the dome by clicking on the "Lock texture to icon" checkbox. The idea of the Light Lister is to provide all the nooks and crannies available in the light settings more conveniently.
                Currently, loading a map from the Lister is not possible, but we plan to improve it in the near future. Once you click on the map button you will see the window showing you your destination folder with the HDRIs and their preview as you currently could do from the Light settings.
                The main goal is to have all the settings from the Modify panel in the Lister.
                Thank you for your suggestions and support!
                I totally understand, but from an artits's standpoint at least a rotation slider for the domelight after checking "lock texture to icon" would be such a timer saver and artist friendly solution. this would eliminate the constant jumping between material editor (hence, rotating the texture within the vray bitmap loader) and or viewport (rotating the domelight itself) during look dev phase. please consider this for an update of the lister, that would be highly appreciated.
                Last edited by jochenhelfert; 06-12-2023, 09:25 AM.

Comment

On echange that we do need straight away is to disable any adjustments of any control via the mouse wheel inside the light lister. Right now if you are trying to scroll the light lister with the mouse wheel, and happen to be over a text box or popup the mouse wheel starts changing those settings, AND THIS CANNOT BE UNDONE!!!! It is soo easy to do this without noticing, and even if you do notice you can't undo it; so you have to figure out where you were before. Bad mojo...

Comment

Originally posted by Joelaff View Post
                    On echange that we do need straight away is to disable any adjustments of any control via the mouse wheel inside the light lister. Right now if you are trying to scroll the light lister with the mouse wheel, and happen to be over a text box or popup the mouse wheel starts changing those settings, AND THIS CANNOT BE UNDONE!!!! It is soo easy to do this without noticing, and even if you do notice you can't undo it; so you have to figure out where you were before. Bad mojo...
                    Can you share a video? This behavior was explicitly removed from the lister when we developed it. The only way I see to reproduce such a behavior is by clicking the scroller button down, which will be registered in our system and removed as an option.

Edit: I think I was able to reproduce it. Nevertheless, please send a video. The problem is registered under: VMAX-13791
                    Last edited by dimitar_panayotov; 07-12-2023, 12:43 AM.

Comment

Thanks for the reply.

After upgrading to the latest VRay just today I seem to only be able to change the value with the scroll wheel if I first click on a text field. This is not so bad.

I know I changed a value inadvertently in the previous version of VRay6. But I suppose I MIGHT have clicked on it first, but I don't think so.

I do notice that I cannot scroll the light lister with the mouse wheel, which is less than ideal. It tries to scroll the outer scrollbar, instead of the list of lights, which has its own inner scrollbar.

Comment

Thank you. About the outer and inner scroller. This was intentional. I will check with the devs if it can be improved.

Comment

Originally posted by jochenhelfert View Post

I totally understand, but from an artits's standpoint at least a rotation slider for the domelight after checking "lock texture to icon" would be such a timer saver and artist friendly solution. this would eliminate the constant jumping between material editor (hence, rotating the texture within the vray bitmap loader) and or viewport (rotating the domelight itself) during look dev phase. please consider this for an update of the lister, that would be highly appreciated.
                          Hi, please check the method in the attached file. It eliminates the need to go to the Material editor. You could use the lister to select the light. "Lock texture to icon" must be checked. By using the spinner at the bottom you can control the rotation. There is no need to look for the dome light in the scene. You can control it entirely from the lister and the Z spinner.
                          Attached Files
                          Last edited by dimitar_panayotov; 07-12-2023, 01:56 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by JezUK View Post
                            Is there any way to add the Lock/Unlock "View to Render" to the Lister, because you could focus so much on the Lister side of things (as I just did) but if your View to Render is locked, Override 3DS Max's Resolution (for example) won't update in the viewport or be applied when rendering.
                            We are aware that there might be some viewport issues related to refreshing of the view when it comes to "Override 3ds Max resolution". Nevertheless, we depend on Max for this one.
                            It's also mentioned here.
                            There shouldn't be a problem with the rendering, though
                            Last edited by dimitar_panayotov; 07-12-2023, 01:41 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by dimitar_panayotov View Post

Hi, please check the method in the attached file. It eliminates the need to go to the Material editor. You could use the lister to select the light. "Lock texture to icon" must be checked. By using the spinner at the bottom you can control the rotation. There is no need to look for the dome light in the scene. You can control it entirely from the lister and the Z spinner.
                              Thank you Dimitar, this is a possible workaround, but it is somewhat cumbersome, isn't it? why not imagine a slider within the lister itself with the option to toggle its visibility, like the other features: one floating window, all things in one place... what is the main putpose of using a domelight, if not attaching an HDR to it and then rorate to find the best lighting scenario? But I can see some resitance/unwillingness to impement this feature... hopefully at some point in the future.
                              Last edited by jochenhelfert; 07-12-2023, 02:27 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X