Proper label for Override Material checkbox

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Proper label for Override Material checkbox

It's not a big issue, but the checkbox to use the Override Material is kind of hidden. The checkbox is unlabeled and you only know that's what it's for unless you let the tooltip pop up by hovering over it. When it first showed up like this (maybe in vray 6?) I had a hard time actually locating the checkbox. I use override material on every project and it still takes a second to locate it. I realize Chaos Group is probably trying to save space and keep everything aligned but the buttons for the "Mtl override settings", material, "Incl/Excl List", and "Exclude..." all seem larger than they need to be so maybe there's a way to rearrange it.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	image.png
Views:	284
Size:	10.8 KB
ID:	1199985
    Again, this is a very minor thing. It just sees weird that there's an unlabeled checkbox.
    www.dpict3d.com - "That's a very nice rendering, Dave. I think you've improved a great deal." - HAL9000... At least I have one fan.

Yeah it is a little confusing when it's disabled everything is greyed out and not very visible, it took me a little while in the beginning too.

I think it would be better if "Mtl override" would be the label of the checkbox and the button would be just called settings. That way if it's disabled the label is still readable. Furthermore a seperator between the mtl override group and max transp levels/transp cutoff would also read somewhat easier.

Name:	MTL OVERRIDE.png
Views:	247
Size:	14.2 KB
ID:	1200049
    A.

---------------------
    www.digitaltwins.be

Comment

Thank you both for the suggestions. This idea will be registered under VMax-13902.

Comment

Originally posted by Vizioen View Post
        Yeah it is a little confusing when it's disabled everything is greyed out and not very visible, it took me a little while in the beginning too.

I think it would be better if "Mtl override" would be the label of the checkbox and the button would be just called settings. That way if it's disabled the label is still readable. Furthermore a seperator between the mtl override group and max transp levels/transp cutoff would also read somewhat easier.

Name:	MTL OVERRIDE.png
Views:	247
Size:	14.2 KB
ID:	1200049
        Looks great.
        www.dpict3d.com - "That's a very nice rendering, Dave. I think you've improved a great deal." - HAL9000... At least I have one fan.

Comment

In addition, it has been changed so that it will not render with an error if no Override material is set. This is a change for the worse.

Previously, if no material was set, the default VRayMtl was set.
          That was useful for debugging, checking and generating mask elements only.

The previous behaviour should be reverted.​
          Last edited by flat; 20-02-2024, 01:34 AM.

OakCorp Japan - Yuji Yamauchi
          oakcorp.net
          v-ray.jp

Comment

Hi, thank you. Why would you want to apply a material even if there is no material loaded? I do understand that it might be a bit faster but in many cases it would create more frustration than solving a problem. It worked the same in V-Ray 5.

Comment

Add: why not set a default white material when turn on Override Material? so everyone use the same white vray material, no more guess...
              Best regards,
              Jackie Teh
              --

3ds max design 2023, V-Ray 6, Update 2.1 [6.20.06 build 00000]
              AMD Threadripper 1950X @3.40 GHz | 64GB RAM | Nvidia RTX 3070 ti
              Email: info@sporadicstudio.com
              YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/c/SporadicStudio

Comment

Originally posted by dimitar_panayotov View Post
                Hi, thank you. Why would you want to apply a material even if there is no material loaded? I do understand that it might be a bit faster but in many cases it would create more frustration than solving a problem. It worked the same in V-Ray 5.
                Sure, it may be a minor issue.

Last edited by flat; 20-02-2024, 07:50 PM.

OakCorp Japan - Yuji Yamauchi
                oakcorp.net
                v-ray.jp

Comment

The idea of a default material is not bad at all. But instead of a white material, it could be a standard grey as the default VRayMtl comes. This material has to have a name, which would be better if it's not a generic one, just to avoid duplicates of the names. How would you like to be named this material?

Comment

The idea of a default material is not bad at all. But instead of a white material, it could be a standard grey as the default VRayMtl comes. This material has to have a name, which would be better if it's not a generic one, just to avoid duplicates of the names. How would you like to be named this material?
                    Normally I put the name: OM (Override Material short-form)
                    Best regards,
                    Jackie Teh
                    --

Comment

or you can add V-Ray OM, I think no one will name their material start with V-Ray?

PS: one thing to be take note, there are two color picker option we can use in 3ds max with vray, I found out that both color picker have a little bit difference in RGB
                      Last edited by jackieteh; 21-02-2024, 02:18 AM.
                      Best regards,
                      Jackie Teh
                      --

Comment

Originally posted by jackieteh View Post
                        or you can add V-Ray OM, I think no one will name their material start with V-Ray?

PS: one thing to take note, there are two color picker options we can use in 3ds max with vray, I found out that both color picker have a little bit difference in RGB
                        Could you please open another topic with the described behavior? Maybe some examples of what you think is not correct. Thank you in advance.
                        Let's keep this thread on the topic here .

Comment

Could you please open another topic with the described behavior? Maybe some examples of what you think is not correct. Thank you in advance.
                          Let's keep this thread on the topic here .
                          Attached 2 images here, one is default color picker and corona color picker, can you see the difference in RGB value?
                          First I set 180 in Default color picker, and then switch it to Corona color picker.
                          Attached Files
                          Best regards,
                          Jackie Teh
                          --

Comment

Hi. By another topic, I meant a new thread in the right section of the forum. Thanks. This thread is about wishes related to the Override section.

Comment

Originally posted by jackieteh View Post

Attached 2 images here, one is default color picker and corona color picker, can you see the difference in RGB value?
                              First I set 180 in Default color picker, and then switch it to Corona color picker.
                              There are already numerous threads on autodesk forum and here as well about this "issue".
                              A.

---------------------
                              www.digitaltwins.be

Comment

Working...
                              X