Per Object / Per material Quality settings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Per Object / Per material Quality settings

Would it be at all possible to have something akin fR's options to govern the GI quality per object (per material would be good as well)?

Say i have a scene with trees in the front and background, and the house as my subject.
    I want the GI to do a -3 / 0 with 75 hsubdivs on the house, and a -6/-4 20 subdis on the trees.
    As of now, to render a quick and dirty GI on the trees, i have to use passes.
    Boring, and sometimes overcomplex.

I would love to be able to pick a bunch of objects, one rmc, and an override to change the GI/ AA quality (AA too would be so very cool as well :P )

Hope i ain't daydreaming.

oh, it'd be good enough if it was in 2.0 :P

Lele

Bump!

Hey am i the only person to feel the need for such a thing?
    Has anyone gone very clever in ways i do not imagine?
    Am i missing something here (Aside from braincells, that is)?

Lele

Comment

You're not alone, Lele.

I'm in the EXACT same boat as you regarding trees vs houses. It's crazy to me that we have to composite all our exterior animations when we don't need to ever make adjustments in post. A per-object setting would allow us to render in one pass and be done.

I can, however, see a whole new level of complexity being added to vray with the inclusion of this feature. Definitely an advanced option.

Comment

Please consider that a wish described with 1 sentece, may require tons of coding. As for now this will be kept as a wish for the future.

Best regards,
        nikki Candelero
        .:: FREE Your MINDs, LIVE Your IDEAS ::.

Comment

Oh yes, nikki, i do imagine (barely, to be honest, for the coding side of things) that a simple wish can be a hell of a trek

I just wanted to wave me little red flag, and hope someone would notice

Of course, there's no hurry for such a thing
          As i said in the first post, V.2 would be MORE than enough :P

Lele

Comment

I want it too! As now we've got Detail Enhancement, which can be called (I suppose ) a first step towards per object sampling.
            I just can't seem to trust myself
            So what chance does that leave, for anyone else?
            ---------------------------------------------------------
            CG Artist

Comment

I have this fantasy I am working through it goes like this:

Using my tablet I can paint a mask onto my camera view wireframe that - using pressure sensitive paiting - would create a GI priorty "level of detail map". Hard pressure would focus beams and bounces into these areas and a light touch would lessen the solution. You could set a default for the whole scene and add more pressure/better solution where its needed.

This would also work for displacement (as I have found I often only "need" displacement at an edge where a profile is seen).

Comment

Originally posted by Sawyer
                I have this fantasy I am working through it goes like this:

Using my tablet I can paint a mask onto my camera view wireframe that - using pressure sensitive paiting - would create a GI priorty "level of detail map". Hard pressure would focus beams and bounces into these areas and a light touch would lessen the solution. You could set a default for the whole scene and add more pressure/better solution where its needed.

This would also work for displacement (as I have found I often only "need" displacement at an edge where a profile is seen).
                Wouldn't you be able to do a poor-man's version of this by using render regions with different irradiance map settings, then merging the irradiance maps? I have no idea if this would work, of course...

edit: It does work - I made a quick scene with two torus knots, rendered regioned one of them at -5, -4... render regioned the other one at -4,0... they merge together fine. There's probably some per-object workaround that could be made by isolating different types of objects and rendering out irradiance maps for each type, then merging them and doing a final render.

Maybe in the first instance, isolate the trees and the ground and render out an irradiance pass at -6,-3 for them. Then isolate the building and render out an irradiance pass at -3,0 for it, merge the maps, and render the full scene. You could use the vrayspherefade if you want some of the nearby trees to affect the GI on the house.

Comment

Sounds like Lele has a new scripting mission.
                  sigpic
                  J. Scott Smith Visual Designs

FB Fan Page: http://www.facebook.com/jssvisualdesigns
                  http://www.linkedin.com/in/jscottsmith
                  https://jscottsmith.com/

Comment

This was asked for a LOOOOONG time ago, when candelero was just a lil boy lol j/k. Yeah, it needs to be asked for again. fRender has had this capability from the very start....

"Sometimes life leaves a hundred dollar bill on your dresser, and you don't realize until later that it's because it fu**ed you."

Comment

Working...
                    X