Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VraySun - Sharp Shadows

Howdy,

Would it be possible to have a option within the VraySun settings to disable area shadows. The VraySun is a great way of generating a realistic daylight effect, however area shadows really slow it down.

In some instances the renders are taking 20 times longer than if I used a standard direct light with VrayShadows.

The great advantage of the VraySun light object is its physically correct for colour and intensity, i'd hate to have to stop using it because rendertimes are to expensive.

Drew Wood-Davies
    Bruce Henderson Architects
    Drew Wood-Davies
    Head Of Lighting & Look-Development | Method Studios | Melbourne, Australia

Reduce the sun size to something very small, and you have sharper shadows.
    How small depends on scene scale.

Lele

Comment

Yeah i can do that, but it would really like the option of turning off area shadows all together.
      Drew Wood-Davies

Comment

maybe a "convert vray sun to directlight" script would be nice

---------------------------------------------------
        MSN addresses are not for newbies or warez users to contact the pros and bug them with
        stupid questions the forum can answer.

Comment

You could align and link a direct sun to the vray sun, turn off the vray sun, and then wire the direct light's intensity and color parametersto the vray sun.

It's kludgy, but it should work.

Comment

Dynedain,

That would be a great solution, however the colour and intensity values need to translate somehow. The multiplyer for the VraySun at 1.0 is much higher than a Direct Light at 1.0.

Also, the colour value for the light seems to be determined by the sun angle, I can't think of anyway to access this for wiring.

Drew
            Drew Wood-Davies

Comment

Put something very small as the sun size AND set the subdivs to 1. This will get you very close to a direct light quality- and speed-wise.

Best regards,
              Vlado
              I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

plus u ll get a more physical light distribution and color.
                Nuno de Castro

www.ene-digital.com
                nuno@ene-digital.com
                00351 917593145

Comment

Originally posted by Da_elf
                  maybe a "convert vray sun to directlight" script would be nice
                  It seems simple, but it isn't.
                  Unless the light intensity (and colour)of the sun decreases linearly across the angle, which i very much doubt, it's some really challenging scripting to be done.

Much better to go Vlado's way, says i...

Lele

Comment

thanks guys,

I will give it a try and post my results.

Drew
                    Drew Wood-Davies

Comment

Working...
                    X