Minor Wish - Default Top to Bottom

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Minor Wish - Default Top to Bottom

I think the default Vray rendering region should be Top to Bottom - the reason being is that in case something happens during a render you can easily render region.
    LunarStudio Architectural Renderings
    HDRSource HDR & sIBL Libraries
    Lunarlog - LunarStudio and HDRSource Blog

second that
    http://www.3dvision.co.il

Comment

Save a maxstart.max file in your max root folder, with those options set.
      Wish granted

Lele

Comment

Lele, correct as usual, but if I may differ with my man juju -- left to right for me is the choice option. Makes the same difference for a region, but since netrender can only be divided into strips, its easier to fill in a patch that didn't finish on a strip if you only have the right third to finish, rather than the bottom third of the entire strip.

You folks remember back in the day when you could submit to backburner and divide it horizontally and vertically? So useful.

Shaun
        ShaunDon

Comment

Yes - it is easy to add it to maxstart but I think it should be integrated into Vray as a default. It seems like it would be a simple matter of repositioning a line of code.

Comment

Isn't triangulation a little faster?
            Eric Boer
            Dev

Comment

yes it is, wich makes me think it would be a bad idea to set it as default. What's wrong with the maxstart option to set it ? i prefer triangulation. As it is the most optimised way to go. Esp with dynamic memory when geometry has to be loaded/unloaded on a per bucket basis in some cases.

Regards,
              Thorsten

Comment

Btw, Why triangulation is faster ? Same number of buckets no ?
                Philippe Steels
                Pixelab - Blog - Flickr

Comment

Quote from the help :

Region sequence - determines the order in which the regions are rendered. Note that the default Triangulation sequence is best if you use a lof of dynamic geometry (displacement-mapped objects, VRayProxy or VRayFur objects), since it walks through the image in a very consistent manner so that geometry that was generated for previous buckets can be used for the next buckets. The other sequences tend to jump from one end of the image to another which is not good with dynamic geometry.

Comment

that makes sense to me...
                    wich makes the current default as the best option imo
                    Nuno de Castro

www.ene-digital.com
                    nuno@ene-digital.com
                    00351 917593145

Comment

Originally posted by instinct
                      Quote from the help :

Region sequence - determines the order in which the regions are rendered. Note that the default Triangulation sequence is best if you use a lof of dynamic geometry (displacement-mapped objects, VRayProxy or VRayFur objects), since it walks through the image in a very consistent manner so that geometry that was generated for previous buckets can be used for the next buckets. The other sequences tend to jump from one end of the image to another which is not good with dynamic geometry.
                      Thanks instinct ! this make sense... but only for dynamic geometry. I discover a new thing about vray every day, what a wonderful program

Next time i'll search a bit more before asking
                      Philippe Steels
                      Pixelab - Blog - Flickr

Comment

Well... Well... I like center spiral as default because the center of your scene is the most important so its quicker to see if something is going wrong

Seriously though, the reason why you can change the order is because different orders have advantages for different kinds of scenes and workflows. There are plenty of scenes where I've changed the order because it worked better for that scene and what I needed at the time. But since triangulation is the best for dynamic geometry, and is the only one that is better on a technical reason, it should be kept as the default.

As mentioned by lele, you can change the default behavior if you want. Just like you can change your Max to startup with VRay mats instead of standard. Doesn't mean it's right for everyone.

Comment

Yep just personal preference. If vlado were to put in a tick box or option for everyones persoanl preference.. it would be messy to say the least.

For instance I would prefer the default IR map preset to be low not high. But again.. easy enough to do by hand or via maxstart.

Comment

Well - I don't know the mechanics of triangulation and I'd guarantee none of us except him or Peter truly knows how it impacts Dynamic Geometry.

But if Vlado has said this, then I suppose it must be true.

As for faster - I have yet to see that benchmarked.

Comment

ahhh, juju, you don't trust us?

:P
                              Eric Boer
                              Dev

Comment

Working...
                              X