Displacement Optimisation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Displacement Optimisation

Vlado, how difficult would it be to implement something like Modo 302's displacement ratio, something that uses the camera frustum to displace to less detail whatever is outside of view?
    They have a very nice example of an ocean surface, where instead of having the water plane displaced uniformly, whatever isn't directly visible gets a ratio to determine how less to displace it, ie. with a ratio of 10, and a displacement length of 1px, in view the standard stuff would happen, while outside instead of 1px edge length we'd have 10px edge length.
    I can see it MAY create issues with GI and rotating viewpoints, but then it may just be used as an option for the shots than needed it.
    Lele
    Trouble Stirrer in RnD @ Chaos
    ----------------------
    emanuele.lecchi@chaos.com

Disclaimer:
    The views and opinions expressed here are my own and do not represent those of Chaos Group, unless otherwise stated.

Agree with lele !

best regards
    My Flickr

Comment

lele: got a link to the ocean you are talking about?

Comment

http://www.luxology.com/training/video.aspx?id=186
        Lele
        Trouble Stirrer in RnD @ Chaos
        ----------------------
        emanuele.lecchi@chaos.com

Disclaimer:
        The views and opinions expressed here are my own and do not represent those of Chaos Group, unless otherwise stated.

Comment

thanks you

Comment

Hi,
            we had another idea recently:

A checkbox to disable displacement for secondary rays and for matte objects. We often use a soft displacement because it just looks better than bump mapping. It doesn't change the overall geometry a lot, so it wouldn't change reflections and shadows too much.

Best Regards,

Dieter
            --------
            visit my developer blog

Comment

All of these options would be really great to have

--Jon
              Jon Reynolds
              Method Studios

Comment

Working...
              X