Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vray Fog Request

Hi.

Firstly I would like to say the new volumetric fog is fantastic, and personally I'd love to use it all the time, even if it is a tad slow.

One of the main issues I have with it is that there is no option to exclude the background from it (like the regular max fog).
    Would this be possible to implement?

Another thing that might be nice is an option when using a vrayAtmosphere pass.
    Usually one plans on adding the fog in comp, when using the pass, so having the fog already "baked" into the regular RGB pass kinda defeats the purpose. Would it be possible to disable the fog from the vanilla RGB output when having an active VrayAtmosphere pass? Otherwise one has to render out a whole bunch of other passes to build the RGB output without the fog.

Hope this wasn't too confusing.
    Signing out,
    Christian

It might be possible, I have to think about it...

Best regards,
    Vlado
    I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

"...might be possible..." for both accounts, or is it maybe just the last one that's problematic?
      Signing out,
      Christian

Comment

Originally posted by trixian View Post
        Hi.

Usually one plans on adding the fog in comp, when using the pass, so having the fog already "baked" into the regular RGB pass kinda defeats the purpose. Would it be possible to disable the fog from the vanilla RGB output when having an active VrayAtmosphere pass? Otherwise one has to render out a whole bunch of other passes to build the RGB output without the fog.

Hope this wasn't too confusing.
        +1, I was forced to render the scene twice to make the comp back later..
        Best regards,
        Andrian

Comment

"...might be possible..." for both accounts, or is it maybe just the last one that's problematic?
          I meant the render element thing; the "don't affect background" option has been requested before and it will be added for certain (it's not that hard either).

Best regards,
          Vlado

Comment

I jumped a bit late into the fog think but, yes this could be a very useful feature
            Alessandro

Comment

BUMP.
              Was this feature ever added? The ability to have the environment fog render element kicked out separately and not mixed with the rgb pass? I can't seem to find it if so.

Comment

I have even better request ha ! :P

Can I has an Atmosphere ID channel? So If I use volume lights and fogs and other stuff I can have nice alpha for each atmosphere emitter/how I set it up ? Still would save loads of time instead of rendering everything 1 by 1 :s
                CGI - Freelancer - Available for work

www.dariuszmakowski.com - come and look

Comment

I'd just like to reanimate this thread as I would really like to have for output as a separate element only. Any progress or has this feature been forgotten?
                  Last edited by trixian; 03-10-2012, 04:57 AM.
                  Signing out,
                  Christian

Comment

It's not forgotten (it's in our bug tracker); we'll get to it. Thanks for the reminder!

Best regards,
                    Vlado

Comment

Good idea. Would be incredibly useful.

When thinking about this, and a request I made the other day about other render elements rendering "invisibly" a thought came to mind: Wouldn't it be rather cool to be able to choose freely which render elements are comped into the RGBcolor image? A lot of times it would be very useful to have the whole image except for reflection- and refraction elements... and then being able to adjust them manually in whatever post producition software you use. I often find myself not using the RGBcolor image, and comping the render from the different render elements in Photoshop. That is a step I wouldn't have to do if I hade the option to exclude certain render elements in vray directly - yet have them render as elements.
                      It would also be a vere neat overall solution for all the differents requests made here - "include/exclude from RGB render".
                      Of course, it is more or less doable now, with various tricks, but it would save a lot of time when working to have smart workflow options like these built into vray.. and time really matters when deadline draws near.
                      www.whiteview.se

Comment

Good idea. Would be incredibly useful.

When thinking about this, and a request I made the other day about other render elements rendering "invisibly" a thought came to mind: Wouldn't it be rather cool to be able to choose freely which render elements are comped into the RGBcolor image? A lot of times it would be very useful to have the whole image except for reflection- and refraction elements... and then being able to adjust them manually in whatever post producition software you use. I often find myself not using the RGBcolor image, and comping the render from the different render elements in Photoshop. That is a step I wouldn't have to do if I hade the option to exclude certain render elements in vray directly - yet have them render as elements.
                        It would also be a vere neat overall solution for all the differents requests made here - "include/exclude from RGB render".
                        Of course, it is more or less doable now, with various tricks, but it would save a lot of time when working to have smart workflow options like these built into vray.. and time really matters when deadline draws near.
                        www.whiteview.se

Comment

Originally posted by windowlicker View Post
                          Wouldn't it be rather cool to be able to choose freely which render elements are comped into the RGBcolor image?
                          Unfortunately this is not at all easy.

Best regards,
                          Vlado

Comment

Originally Posted by windowlicker
                            Wouldn't it be rather cool to be able to choose freely which render elements are comped into the RGBcolor image?

That's what a compositing program is for!
                            Maxscript made easy....
                            davewortley.wordpress.com
                            Follow me here:
                            facebook.com/MaxMadeEasy

If you don't MaxScript, then have a look at my blog and learn how easy and powerful it can be.

Comment

Well there is actually a good point in Windowlickers post, and has been mentioned a few other times in these forums.
                              A majority of the time, people only need to fiddle with certain key passes, so having to output all of them to reassemble is rather wasteful both in regards to time and resource consumption (clock cycles and ram usage).

Maybe the most flexible way would be to have a new Pass called precomp, or UserDefinedOutputComposite (or something ), where you add your usual suspects for outputting your "beauty" sans reflections\fog\"insert wish", so you only save out say 2 files ("beauty" without reflection and reflection) instead of 4-5. This same principle applies to the classic "can I have the reflection included with the matte-alpha pass like regular Scanline does" that some of us would like. If these could be pre-comped before file output, it would probably be quite helpful for a lot of users.
                              Signing out,
                              Christian

Comment

Working...
                              X