Vray Plane

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vray Plane

Can we have an option to specify the size in viewport, and also possibly add a bit of curvature to the horizon?
    Maxscript made easy....
    davewortley.wordpress.com
    Follow me here:
    facebook.com/MaxMadeEasy

If you don't MaxScript, then have a look at my blog and learn how easy and powerful it can be.

Curvature would be awesome. Right now I tend to do seamless horizons with two slightly intersecting VrayPlanes, but you can only get away with that with some materials/lighting setups.
    Brett Simms

www.heavyartillery.com
    e: brett@heavyartillery.com

Comment

Originally posted by simmsimaging View Post
      Curvature would be awesome.
      +1.

I was just working on some aerial renderings and thinking about this. In fact, if there was a check box for a dimensionally accurate curvature for earth, that would be great...
      David M. Foster

Comment

I read a post someplace, not here, that mentioned they used Google Earth's data for their site plans. I'll have to try that... we are pretty flat here, but it would be interesting to see how accurate it is on a hilly terrain.
        Bobby Parker
        www.bobby-parker.com
        e-mail: info@bobby-parker.com
        phone: 2188206812

My current hardware setup:
        • Ryzen 9 5900x CPU
        • 128gb Vengeance RGB Pro RAM
        • NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4090
        • ​Windows 11 Pro

Comment

Yes, I've used Google's terrain more than once. It's alright. If surrounding terrain is particularly important, I'd recommend using a DEM (Digital Elevation Model). They are free to download from USGS, and in variety of resolutions.

But you probably don't want to download the whole world, so a curved vray plan would still be quite handy.
          David M. Foster

Comment

It would be great if the Vray Plane would support Vray displacement...then it could be mapped with terrain data, or ocean maps, etc..
            Marc Lorenz
            ___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___
            www.marclorenz.com
            www.facebook.com/marclorenzvisualization

Comment

Originally posted by plastic_ View Post
              It would be great if the Vray Plane would support Vray displacement...then it could be mapped with terrain data, or ocean maps, etc..
              It would need to support UV mapping first. VrayDisplacement actually is selectable as a modifier for the plane but with UV's it doesn't work.

Anyway, to get around this use a standard Max plane object and increase the "Scale" factor in it's creation paramaters. Apply any mappings, displacements, etc and your good to go. It's not infinite like the vray plane but it can get pretty darn big. It doesn't work with RT though since it only supports what's shown in the viewport.
              www.dpict3d.com - "That's a very nice rendering, Dave. I think you've improved a great deal." - HAL9000... At least I have one fan.

Comment

Working...
              X