Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VRay PhysCam - presets

Hello,

Would it be possible to implement a presets system to VRay PhysCam please ?
    A bonus would be to easily define a path to an ini file storing these presets (on a file server for example), so that it can be easily shared between coworkers

Thanks in advance for the attention you'll pay to this request,

Regards.
    Nicolas Caplat
    www.intangibles.fr

Am I the only one needing that ? or is that already possible and I'm missing something ?

Regards.
    Nicolas Caplat
    www.intangibles.fr

Comment

what preset could that be?

best regards
      themaxxer
      Pixelschmiede GmbH
      www.pixelschmiede.ch

Comment

Yeah, I don't understand either. What would need to be set in a preset? How often are you changing values?
        Colin Senner

Comment

I can't think of any presets that would be useful for me, but I can think of an added feature that would be helpful: An auto-exposure tool; preferably an aperture-priority auto-exposure tool. Getting the right exposure in the Vray camera takes a little bit of experimentation and every scene has different exposure levels. So, it would be great if the vray camera could do some scene light-level metering and set a shutter-length that would produce the best histogram. From there the user could manually adjust the shutter speed to get an exposure that perfectly suits the user's output goals.

Speaking of shutter speed, I don't have to type in shutter speed values in my camera, and I shouldn't have to in the Vray camera either. So, in addition to the existing abiltiy to type in a shutter speed, the addition of left and right spinners (labeld "faster" and "slower" would be appreciated. For instance in my camera, if my shutter speed is 1/125 I just roll the dial to get to 1/200; no typing!
          Last edited by darbo; 22-04-2011, 10:59 AM.

Comment

Lele (around here) wrote some awesome tools for vrayphscam and one includes an autoexposure tools. Look on his site or scriptspot.com under "lele's vray tools"
            Colin Senner

Comment

Yeah, Lele's tools are fantastic and very fast...

Comment

Originally posted by darbo View Post

Speaking of shutter speed, I don't have to type in shutter speed values in my camera, and I shouldn't have to in the Vray camera either. So, in addition to the existing abiltiy to type in a shutter speed, the addition of left and right spinners (labeld "faster" and "slower" would be appreciated. For instance in my camera, if my shutter speed is 1/125 I just roll the dial to get to 1/200; no typing!
                You do realise that Vray is Software & not Hardware like a camera?????
                And you don't type in values for your camera because it doesn't have a bloody keyboard....lol
                The spinners are already there -- use the arrows...drag them & they become spinners
                & you will still have to re-render to test the values anyway...so nothing is any faster
                Sorry to sound like I'm having a go at you, but I think you need to do some more research about cameras befor asking for additions to VrayCams.

Comment

Originally posted by 3DMK View Post
                  You do realise that Vray is Software & not Hardware like a camera?????
                  And you don't type in values for your camera because it doesn't have a bloody keyboard....lol
                  The spinners are already there -- use the arrows...drag them & they become spinners
                  & you will still have to re-render to test the values anyway...so nothing is any faster
                  Sorry to sound like I'm having a go at you, but I think you need to do some more research about cameras befor asking for additions to VrayCams.
                  1. No need for "having a go".
                  2. I am not lacking "research about cameras". I am well acquainted with my dslr. However, I did a less-than-clear job of explaining my thoughts. Yes, the shutter speed spinners are there, but I would prefer if they could work like my Canon 5d mkii. On my camera if the shutter speed is set to 1/100 and I turn the dial faster the next stop is 1/125 and then 1/160. The spinners in the vray camera don't behave like that, and I just think it would be nice if they did...it would save a few keystrokes. Disagree? That's fine.
                  3. It's called a vray "physical camera". Yes it is software...but it is emulating something physical. If Chaosgroup is providing a "software" camera complete with f-stops, ISO, and shutter speed controls, it is not wrong to wish for it to behave more ergonomically like a physical camera. FYI: Neither my dslr camera nor my PC have a "bloody" keyboard; my PC does have a blood-free crumby keyboard, though (crumby from snacks).
                  4. You say I'm going to have to re-render to test the values, so nothing is faster. That's why I also wish there would be an auto-exposure system built-in the vray camera (though it's nice that there are scripts for that).
                  5. My post was only a reply to a wish for presets by the original poster. If I felt my wishes were an essential improvement to the vray physical camera, I would express my "wishes" in an original post.
                  Last edited by darbo; 24-04-2011, 10:53 PM.

Comment

It does seem a little odd to be honest getting presets since the light is going to change so much between scenes and also even at different angles / positions per scene.

In terms of the spinners, I'd say most would prefer finer control rather than the stepped nature of 1/3 exposure steps. It'd be pretty annoying for example if just the right exposure lay somewhere between 1/125 and 1/160 and you couldn't get it!

You're quite right in terms of auto exposure though as a first step though which is something that Lele's scripts have added. Exposure lock is also high on the list of requests so dof / motion blur can be tweaked without ruining brightness. Vlado's mentioned that he's looking at both of these things.

Comment

I understand what you're saying now. Try out Lele's tools. I don't find a need for the values changing to compensate for the same exposure with say slower shutter speed, I just eyeball it or if it's really needed compensate using the ISO, but I can see how this might help some people.
                      Colin Senner

Comment

Originally posted by darbo View Post
                        1. No need for "having a go".
                        2. I am not lacking "research about cameras". I am well acquainted with my dslr. However, I did a less-than-clear job of explaining my thoughts. Yes, the shutter speed spinners are there, but I would prefer if they could work like my Canon 5d mkii. On my camera if the shutter speed is set to 1/100 and I turn the dial faster the next stop is 1/125 and then 1/160. The spinners in the vray camera don't behave like that, and I just think it would be nice if they did...it would save a few keystrokes. Disagree? That's fine.
                        3. It's called a vray "physical camera". Yes it is software...but it is emulating something physical. If Chaosgroup is providing a "software" camera complete with f-stops, ISO, and shutter speed controls, it is not wrong to wish for it to behave more ergonomically like a physical camera. FYI: Neither my dslr camera nor my PC have a "bloody" keyboard; my PC does have a blood-free crumby keyboard, though (crumby from snacks).
                        4. You say I'm going to have to re-render to test the values, so nothing is faster. That's why I also wish there would be an auto-exposure system built-in the vray camera (though it's nice that there are scripts for that).
                        5. My post was only a reply to a wish for presets by the original poster. If I felt my wishes were an essential improvement to the vray physical camera, I would express my "wishes" in an original post.
                        Sorry Darbo if my extremely dry Australian sense of Humor was a bit much.
                        It's our national sport to take the piss out of people...we just can't help ourselves.
                        [By the way...a Bloody keyboard is a nicer way [in Australia] of saying Fu#*ing keyboard...lol...it has nothing to do with blood at all]

Comment

Hello guys,

In fact, I find pretty surprising that presets isn't something largely needed. Certainly matter of habit or workflow. I'd find useful to be able to save shutter speed, f-stop and any setting, and to be able to share those on the network with coworkers. But anyway, it won't be hard to script

Regards.
                          Nicolas Caplat
                          www.intangibles.fr

Comment

Working...
                          X