bitmap filtering...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• bitmap filtering...

Alright...this has kept me up for a little while...and I'm just a little frustrated....

We all know how pathetic Max is when filtering a bitmap...just blur it by 1.0...

Anyway...it seems that Vray could have problems with this as well. I have been painting textures in photoshop then watching all the detail turn into a blur when rendered out in Vray.

The bitmap textures seem blurred when i have my AA set to -1,2 for min and max. Indeed when I change that to 1, 2 the maps look 'slightly' better but the render time increases dramatically ie from 2.5 minutes to 11.5. Anyway, why should I have to increase the sampling for the whole frame? There should be some kind of per material sampling adjustment.

I have read that Brazil has some different way of filtering bitmaps

http://www.splutterfish.com/sf/galle...&action=images

I'm not trying to say Brazil is better. I just want to figure out what the hell is going on here.

cheers

You should play with the bitmap filtering options, not so much with VRay antialiasing. Try decreasing the Blur parameter of your bitmap or using a different filtering method (summed area for example).

Best regards,
    Vlado
    I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

I have tried summed area filtering...it looks a little aliased....

I have tried none....and that looks very aliased

I guess I need something in between?

hmmm...are there any plans for a Vray bitmap shader that has more options? Tell me there is Vlado

cheers

Comment

use pyramidical filtering, but instead of blur 1.0 set it to 0.1 and AA the scene, this works better
        Digital Progression

Comment

If you are rendering stills, this does work better.

However, if you are animating camera movement, be cautioned that objects with material that has 0.1 filtering tend to flicker when viewed at low angle if there is any sort of pattern used for texture. I have found recently that upping the antialiasing to very high numbers will resolve the issue, at a cost of major rendering speed hit. Filter does not eliminate the flickering so you will need to work the antialiasing anyway, but without it, it will require much higher numbers.

And if you are outputting to tape, detail in distance textures will likely be lost anyway.

Comment

turning on supersampling reduces flicker, but this may only be available in max std materials...
            Digital Progression

Comment

Working...
            X