Z-buffer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by vlado View Post
    Well, you can write your own shader for that if you feel like it; it's not too complicated either.

Best regards,
    Vlado

Ok it was just a wish... like opacity map into Zdeph...

Now I have to learn programming shader...

Best regards...
    My Flickr

Comment

Did anyone have any luck with this...zdepth buffer still does not support refractive objects...I often need this ability when applying DOF pro in photoshop...
      Regards

Steve

My Portfolio

Comment

Originally posted by vlado - Sep 2008 View Post
        The ZDepth channel works fine with transparency in newer builds of V-Ray.
        Best regards,
        Vlado
        I enabled e-mail notification and so I stumble agin over this topic today. One year later - when can be expected that the fix will be implemented at Vray for Rhino too?
        OK, I had enough time to find a workaround but it's a long workaround only:
        http://forum.asgvis.com/index.php?topic=6263.msg

Maybe it's possible that the Vray SDK could get more optimized so that plugin development can be faster. Vray is the best, but the gap between Vray for Max and Rhino is sooo wide.

From the past I know the renderman standard and the coding language - it is quite easy to implement features to a plugin. For example at Rhino I can not set a material visibilty at VfR. Per renderman language it would be very simple, only some short code lines need to be added to the material attributes like
        Attribute "visibility" "integer camera" [1]
        Attribute "visibility" "integer indirect" [1]
        Attribute "visibility" "integer photon" [1]
        Attribute "visibility" "integer shadow" [1]
        Attribute "visibility" "integer trace" [1]
        Attribute "visibility" "integer diffuse" [1]
        Attribute "visibility" "integer specular" [1]
        This feature isn't available at rhino since years. Maybe the SDK can be polished for a quick access to features.

Sorry, I don't want to bother somebody, only I hope that a way will be find to get VfR more feature complete. Please.
        www.simulacrum.de ... visualization for designer and architects

Comment

Originally posted by stevesideas View Post
          Did anyone have any luck with this...zdepth buffer still does not support refractive objects...I often need this ability when applying DOF pro in photoshop...
          actually it does since sp3 came out. in the mat's refraction properties set affect channels to "all channels", default it's colour only.

Comment

Originally posted by rivoli View Post
            actually it does since sp3 came out. in the mat's refraction properties set affect channels to "all channels", default it's colour only.

Well, sort of. When it comes to a reflective glass material, the reflections are still not accounted for...at least, not that I can find. Check out this MentalRay plugin. (The car images a bit down the page). THAT is what I'm after. A ZDepth that gives you accurate refractive AND reflective data.

http://forum.german-mentalray-wiki.i...hp?p=1278#1278

Comment

Would be great to get it at Vray too. Looks like a basic feature.

Comment

Originally posted by landrvr1 View Post
                A ZDepth that gives you accurate refractive AND reflective data.
                Most objects are both reflective and refractive. What is the z-buffer in that case? What if an object has fresnel reflection? And so on... this will never work right.

Best regards,
                Vlado
                I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

I understand, if in a fresnel reflection is something visible far away, what should be the z-depth? Maybe it could be useful to get z-depth options like "enable for reflections/refractions", this option also material based. So, the user could decide, what should be used for the depth information.

For example I render an object on a black reflective plastic ground and I like to add a post DOF. Than I would enable "use reflection" for the ground and the objects in the reflection could be right DOF blurred.

I think, in some cases not the object is visible/important and the user like to get the z-depth of the objects in the reflection/refraction. It could be nice to get a solution for this cases.

Comment

Working...
                  X