MutliMatte wish

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MutliMatte wish

I use multimatte all the time but sometimes I get requests for mattes that go beyond what multimatte can do. for example i might need to create a matte for a group of objects and then an additional matte for parts that make up that larger object. so i was thinking that if I could tell multimatte to include ranges of object id's to include in one channel or number lists i could have id's 1-10 in the red channel and then 2,4,7 in the green channel and so on.

Is something like that possible or would that slow renders down to much?

V Miller

Is this just a workflow / convenience thing? As in you're running into an issue being only able to assign a single object id to an object? A lot of the time I'll use the vray extratex element with a solid white texture and use the include / exclude list to make a matte - not as handy as what you're suggesting there admittedly.

Comment

I'd say its totally a convenience thing especially when it comes to mattes generated from mat effect id's. I had suggested that multimatte be opened up to allow choosing by selection set in a post a while back as well.

V Miller

Comment

You/someone could write a script to quickly assign mattes to selected objects, then if you use a full set of material id's and object id's for the bigger things you can break the big groups up into individual objects in post. I think this is what you're after isnt it?
        It's not a proper solution, but scripts could make doing it the long way take nowhere near as long.

Comment

Plus one for this.

Comment

I noticed that C4D could do this...U could assign more than one object IDs for a object...this is great for creating many mattes! Click image for larger version

Name:	Vray_objID_buffer.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	18.0 KB
ID:	845977
            Reel 2011 Online!!!
            http://3daily.de/

Comment

Yup, great idea.
              Many Thanks
              Patrick

Comment

This is on the "to do" list; we will simply add an include/exclude list for each of the red/green/blue channels.

Best regards,
                Vlado
                I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

will that be by object name or object id or effects id?

V Miller

Comment

By clicking on the objects that you need (or selecting from a dialog)

Best regards,
                    Vlado
                    I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

That doesn't work with xref scenes unfortunately. Maybe it could be got around by introducing a VRayID in an objects properties that DOES support multiple values.

Comment

Working...
                      X