Seperate IOR values

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Seperate IOR values

It's be convenient to have separate IOR values for refraction and for reflection.
    Greg Tsadilas
    VFX Supervisor/CG Supervisor

IOR for reflection? I guess Index Of Refraction makes only sense with... well, refraction

Comment

Originally posted by Dusan_Pavlicek
      IOR for reflection? I guess Index Of Refraction makes only sense with... well, refraction
      Well, since IOR affects fresnel reflections, I can see how it would be nice to be able to seperate them.

Comment

yes it's a great feature, can we just merge FRadvanced into Vray then I will be happy. Vray mat is severely limited in control.
        Richard De Souza

www.themanoeuvre.com

Comment

Originally posted by Dusan_Pavlicek
          Dusan,

IOR also affects Fresnel reflections. Try it yourself, render an object with a Vray reflective material and fresnel checked with an IOR of 1.5, and next to it the same object with a copy of the material and the IOR set to 5, 10, etc. You'll notice the effect immediately.

Having two seperate IOR values would make it possible to adjust the refractivity and reflectivity seperately. Very usefull for making necessary tweaks to glass.
          Greg Tsadilas
          VFX Supervisor/CG Supervisor

Comment

Thanks for the explanation, I didn't know that.

Comment

That´s one of the more simple points i am missing too in Vray mat.

Similar to that also a seperation of reflective and refractive caustix maybe ?

Tom

Comment

More convenient could be separate all properties of the reflection and refraction. It would be important to have separated map for reflection and refraction enviroment override.
                www.gaell.com

Comment

To get around this, I've been putting a falloff map in the reflection slot with override IOR turned on...maybe this would work for you?
                  Needs more cowbell

Comment

The internal builds already have separate IORs for Fresnel reflection and refraction; so that will be coming soon.

Best regards,
                    Vlado
                    I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

Working...
                    X