Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Multimatte include / exclude list to work with xref'd objects?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Multimatte include / exclude list to work with xref'd objects?

Heya folks!

I'm working on a few shots with an object that uses a tonne of cloth simulated objects, and the keyframes of that make the file sizes really large. Since we're doing a few vray renders, some fume renders using the boat as a holdout and some krakatoa renders of splashes using the boat as a holdout and rerender the same assets from different cameras for different shots, it'd be great to have one master scene file and xref this in to different cameras and renderers.

My problem is that I've used the new multimatte include / exclude features to give myself multiple mattes in the file and these seem not to work with xref'd assets. Is there a technical limitation in max with this or something that can be gotten around?

Cheers!

John

Hmm, can you get me a simple setup where this is not working?

Best regards,
    Vlado
    I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

Cheers Vlado.

If you open multimatte_render.max and render it, it pulls in the three objects via the xref file. The object Id's in the xreffed files carry through fine into the first multimatte, but if you try and use the include / exclude list in the second multimatte you'll see that you get nothing in the list of objects to pick - it's as if vray can't see the objects that are in the xref file.

Multimatte_xrefs.zip

Comment

Hi,

XRef scenes cannot be selected nor modified, and do not appear in the Select From Scene dialog or Scene Explorer, the modifier stack, or the Track View.
        Maybe a workaround would be to use Xref objects instead.
        Tashko Zashev | chaos.com
        Chaos Support Representative | contact us

Comment

Good call - I was going to switch to material id's but this'd be far handier. Cheers for saving me some work Tashko!

Comment

Working...
          X