Selective GI + Spherefade

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Selective GI + Spherefade

As far as I understand, the Detail enhancement switches between IR and BF depending on detail requirements. Right?

Would it be possible to use the Spherefade mechanism combined with the GI selector?

So you could render static stuff with IR. Additionally you place a sphere fade (or other gizmos) around animated stuff and render these with BF in ONE GO!

I would use it . Saves an additional pass.

Best, Peter
    Last edited by Dmerc; 19-11-2013, 06:53 AM.

Hmpf. It is not impossible. What about the secondary bounces though (f.e. light cache)? Currently the "use irradiance map" option in materials turns off both irradiance map and light cache for that material, should that be the same for the sphere fade?

Best regards,
    Vlado
    I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

Well, a typical scenario: A few moving objects, biggest extend of the scene is static.

We do a precalculated the IR+LC, but the LC is baked into the IR-Map anyhow. Since the LC mostly does not take too much time, we still can do a singleframe LC per each frame which is then used for glossies and the BF+LC calculation for the spherefade objects. The rest would just take the IR-map and possibly benefit from the LC for glossies.

We also thought already about this "Turn-off IR" Setting in the Material, but since that would not include the GI-influence on the environment, we left it alone (Would work for something detached (plane) but for a car would be not satisfactory.

Generally we are just very grateful, if we can avoid doing too many passes .

Thanks for your consideration,
      Peter

Comment

Sounds like a good idea; will make a note to look into it.

Best regards,
        Vlado
        I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

I'd propose to also let us select "nodes" that will act as sphere-fade gizmos instead of having to use actual gizmos maybe? Selecting your animated objects, and defining a falloff range, or a scale multiplier that extends outwards (like the gizmo would be used).
          Signing out,
          Christian

Comment

I don't know if this is turning the idea into something tricky, but some kind of fading would be great to blend the 2 GI-methods ... very much like you would use the alpha-fader of the sphere-fade in postproduction ...

Cheers, P

Comment

Working...
            X