Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Skylight Portal - "Simple" option on by default

Hi there,
    I was just troubleshooting an interior shopping mall scene from a colleague. The light cache was taking an extremely long time to calculate, and it turns out there was one light by a window that had Skylight On, but Simple off. Could we have Simple activated on by default when skylight portals are used?

Thanks

What is the actual difference? I genuinely have no idea.
    Check out my (rarely updated) blog @ http://macviz.blogspot.co.uk/

www.robertslimbrick.com

Cache nothing. Brute force everything.

Comment

Simple portal - this option is only enabled if the Skylight portal option is on. It tells the VRayLight that there is nothing of interest behind the light itself, and so the environment color can be used directly. Normally, the portal light takes its color from whatever objects are behind it. In order to do this, the light traces additional rays, which may slow down the rendering. Turning this option on makes the rendering of portal lights faster.

Originally posted by Macker View Post
      Whatistheactual difference? I genuinely have no idea.
      Bobby Parker
      www.bobby-parker.com
      e-mail: info@bobby-parker.com
      phone: 2188206812

My current hardware setup:
      • Ryzen 9 5900x CPU
      • 128gb Vengeance RGB Pro RAM
      • NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4090
      • ​Windows 11 Pro

Comment

Originally posted by Bruce Hart View Post
        Hi there,
        I was just troubleshooting an interior shopping mall scene from a colleague. The light cache was taking an extremely long time to calculate, and it turns out there was one light by a window that had Skylight On, but Simple off. Could we have Simple activated on by default when skylight portals are used?
        Yes, it might be a good idea, at least until I figure out how to solve the slowdown.

Best regards,
        Vlado
        I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

Great - thanks Vlado. I take it this is a Vray 3 issue? In the scene I mentioned the skylight was sitting just inside the window geometry, which was perhaps not ideal in the first place. Seems like it was having a very hard time taking into account what was behind the portal. I don't think I noticed that scenario being as slow in Vray 2, but I could be wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by Bruce Hart View Post
            I don't think I noticed that scenario being as slow in Vray 2, but I could be wrong.
            There is something strange there; technically V-Ray 2.x should have been just as slow. I have noted it down and I will look into it to see where is the difference.

Best regards,
            Vlado
            I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

Working...
            X