Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My wishlist so far.

Hello Dev Team,

Here's another wishlist, perhaps some of these have already been mentioned in past threads if that's the case please ignore them and thank you.

Lights:

1 - Cookies for lights (similar to arnold): this is a very important feature which is lacking, currently i am forced to create custom geometry objects plus respective materials applied on some of them with opacity maps to give falloffs etc..and then manually assign them to the lights plus include exclude them for certain lights in order to get the job done, while this works just as well it would be a tremendous time saver if we already have some of these included in vray lights, each light having a list and custom creation panel for their own cookies.

2 - Add exposure by "stops" to lights multiplier in addition to the already existing (luminous, radiant values etc..) again just like Arnold lights (sorry for the arnold comparisons again): This would make life simpler in visualizing parameters over all, I often find myself in values of hundreds and thousands when dealing with the existing light parameters, while these are "physical correct terms, it is much more intuitive to have these values in smaller numbers such as exposure stops, then we will be dealing with numbers like 2 or 3 or 10 and so on instead of the hundreds, this way in a complex scene adjusting light values and pre-determining expectations of their respective exposures would become thoughtfully simpler to visualize.

3 - Have Custom forced attenuation parameters for area lights similar to those found in max's native spot lights or mental ray lights, this would provide more control over how far the light's influence would be and forcefully end or start it with radius parameters.

Render elements:

1 - Multi matte render element (select layer feature): if it is possible to be able to drag layers into the multi matte render element inclusion slot instead of selecting the objects manually, this would help in complex scenes where you have thousands of objects that you already have them organized in layers inside max and you would simply be able to drag the selected layer or choose it from the multi matte render element menu and it would automatically take all the objects inside the layer.

Frame buffer:

1 - Render region option: Option to be able to "grab selected viewport at "X" determined resolution from the render settings automatically, right now i find myself having to render a quick light cache pass for the first time in order to be able to see roughly were the object of interest are plus get the correct res in frame buffer and then cancel render and select region to render, if you have a complex scene to render the light cache alone could take many minutes just to see something in the frame buffer, I often wish I had that grab viewport option.

Memory management tricks if possible:

1 - Rendering some serious high poly objects with lots of micro displacements plus glossy reflection and motion blur can kill render times especially memory, is there a way to "cheat" certain things that would perhaps make things move a little faster, one of the ideas could be similar to the following:

Suppose you have a very dense displaced object say a piece of cloth with lots of micro displacements and another metallic object in front of it with glossy reflections, now if i render the metal object alone (if i'm not mistaken from what i have observed) is that vray has to start calculating and loading up the entire parts of the cloth into memory with all the displacements as if it is actually rendering that in order to project it onto the metal piece to be able to reflect it accurately, but since reflections are blurred and the only thing visually visible to the eye is the "color gradient of the opposing object and not the details" it would be great to have an option per material or object, to tell that reflective object that - reflect Object cloth but exclude all render time displacements from it - since the reflections are blurred we can assume that the visual difference would be indistinguishable to the eye or very subtle from the fully displaced one, this way most reflective objects with low glossiness values would reflect no displacements per user choosing while the cloth itself gets rendered with displacements normally, hopefully saving memory and time in the process.

2 - Cheating 3d motion blur: Perhaps the option to remove reflections or object details from the "smeared" parts of the motion blur like a falloff automatically, i think mental ray had something like that if i'm not mistaken, or perhaps raytrace reflections would turn to simple specular mode in the smeared sections, would this help render times?

Maps:

1- I have been experiencing sluggish render times whenever i introduce max composite material with a few additive layers on top, later i read in a few forums that max's native composite map is slow and buggy by nature, if this is true is there a way you guys can introduce a faster "cleaner" composite map optimized for vray? such a map is extremely useful for displacements - animated textures linked to morph targets and many other things.

Hope these make sense, any other ideas are welcome.

That is it for now and thanks again!

Hi Nkal,

Thanks for the feedback and suggestions on improving our product. Some of the points will be considered and probably added to our "to do" list.

About point 3 (lights), this effect could be achieved by adjusting the light cutoff parameter. Unfortunately there is no option to visualize the correct lighting distribution in the viewport.

1 - Multi matte render element (select layer feature): if it is possible to be able to drag layers into the multi matte render element inclusion slot instead of selecting the objects manually, this would help in complex scenes where you have thousands of objects that you already have them organized in layers inside max and you would simply be able to drag the selected layer or choose it from the multi matte render element menu and it would automatically take all the objects inside the layer.
    Currently the Multimatte element works only with IDs (Mtl and Object). Adding an object selection list will be difficult task.
    Tashko Zashev | chaos.com
    Chaos Support Representative | contact us

Comment

Working...
    X