VRay SP3 - Materials

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by kosso_olli View Post
    Haha, better not. It would take ages for him to create that, and we would have to wait ages for the renderings. His stuff is incredibly slow.
    Hehe, i understand what you're saying, most of his materials have sick detail and he doesn't really think much about rendertimes, but i'm talking about "basic" but accurate materials. Grant was an example, but someone else like viscorbel, peter guthrie, etc. doing it would be really nice.

Comment

Excactly. When I say "correct", I don't mean 100% physical accurate and there's no way anybody can prove you wrong. With "correct", I mean the generally acceptable way of doing things with a LWF in mind. For example a typical white painted wall, it's generally NOT acccepted to make that wall's diffuse 255.255.255 with NO reflection.

I sometimes have to deal with other people's equipment and setups and I don't always have my own stuff on a drive with me. If I can quickly select a preset as a base to work from to create a new material, all those half a second procedures quickly adds up!
      Kind Regards,
      Morne

Comment

Well, i still see no point, especially if we aren't talking about physically accurate shaders, but just a different shade or arbitrary (pun intended).
        The internet is rife with free and paid shaders, of poor, mediocre and good to excellent quality.
        For an individual user, it should be a modest amount of work to build himself a library which is the synthesis of the aforementioned materials, the user's specific needs and the user skills.
        Doing something similar under the ChaosGroup name requires a very different amount of effort, both in the production, the QC and the support, and without any objective reference to prove a given shader was right, and used wrong, the loop is potentially endless.
        I vote this down.
        Lele
        Trouble Stirrer in RnD @ Chaos
        ----------------------
        emanuele.lecchi@chaos.com

Disclaimer:
        The views and opinions expressed here are my own and do not represent those of Chaos Group, unless otherwise stated.

Comment

Originally posted by ^Lele^ View Post
          Doing something similar under the ChaosGroup name requires a very different amount of effort, both in the production, the QC and the support, and without any objective reference to prove a given shader was right, and used wrong, the loop is potentially endless.
          I vote this down.
          How do I make a good looking glass material?

Comment

I don't see the point either as there are already a lot of materials out there and everyone's wishes are different. That being said I should start building my own library because they're just everywhere spread across all my models and in terms of workflow, that's just poor time management.
            A.

---------------------
            www.digitaltwins.be

Comment

Originally posted by joconnell View Post
              Haha I remember that thread.
              A.

---------------------
              www.digitaltwins.be

Comment

Originally posted by joconnell View Post
                LOL!
                You can't.
                the whole point of glass is that it's transparent.
                Best you can do is a good not-looking glass.
                Inescapable CG truth. ^^
                Lele
                ----------------------

Disclaimer:
                The views and opinions expressed here are my own and do not represent those of Chaos Group, unless otherwise stated.

Comment

Originally posted by Vizioen View Post
                  Haha I remember that thread.
                  Oh, swoosh over my head, that reference went!
                  Where the link?!?! :P
                  Lele
                  ----------------------

Disclaimer:

Comment

It's kind of the point of Lele's post though, a realistic material will look bad in an incorrect environment or with wrong lighting or camera settings so users may have slightly higher expectations of what the library should do.

Morne I understand what you're asking for though, it'd be handy to have something a bit similar to the dontnod chart with some measured values. Bertrand had a very sneaky trick of just pointing his camera up at the sky on overcast days that he'd shoot textures on, shoot a frame of the grey sky and not what settings the camera automatically chose. If he then made a vray camera with the same settings and either loaded an overcast hdri or just made a domelight, you just have to play with your multiplier so that the average rgb value of your vray sky render matches the average grey of your photo. Now you have your lighting accurate, you can have photos from the same time where you know your lighting value, you know your camera settings from the exif data that you shoot your textures with so you can cancel out two of the three variables. If your lighting is correct and your camera settings are correct, then you just need to set the brightness of your diffuse value in your texture so it matches the rgb of your reference in your texture photo.

Comment

Originally posted by ^Lele^ View Post
                      Oh, swoosh over my head, that reference went!
                      Where the link?!?! :P
                      Well, it made me think of this ^^ http://forums.chaosgroup.com/showthr...ss-(yes-again)
                      A.

---------------------
                      www.digitaltwins.be

Comment

Originally posted by Vizioen View Post
                        This thread can be a potential source for drinking games....
                        Cheers,
                        Oliver

https://www.artstation.com/mokiki

Comment

how can it be refractive and relfective at the same time

Comment

Anything official regarding this?

I just took a look at Keyshot. the material library seems to be really good. The metal mesh they have on the presentation video...wow.

I read others mentioning sigershaders. They're far from usable. Just take a look at the leather. It looks like painted concrete.
                            Guido.

Comment

Working...
                            X