X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Will see what can be done about it.

Best regards,
    Vlado
    I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

• hi vlado , hows that raytrace id thing going ? ^^ is it out of the oven yet ? haha

Comment

• The new nightlies VrayMtl has a switch to go from glossy to rough reflections (inverting the slider). I'd suggest that it would be good if the Vray version of ALsurface also had that too (from rough to glossy).

Comment

• I'd be interested in hearing discussion on using the three SSS layers in combination. The default values use 2 red and 1 blue, presumably to simulate various layers of skin. This parallels the Arnold shader's settings, except that it has the weights off for 2 of the layers disabling them by default.

I'd also be interested to hear other approaches people use to combine the 3 SSS layers. I note that in Ander's skin tutorial that he only uses one layer. Similarly the Wikihuman implementation of the shader also only uses 1 sss layer. One technique that I find intriguing is multiplying the diffuse map with solid red, green, and blue and then inputting this into the 3 SSS layers, using differing depth/distance values for the three colors (for example 0.8 for red, 0.2 for green, and 0.1 for blue) with the weight at 1 for each.
          Last edited by sharktacos; 07-12-2016, 08:42 AM.

Comment

• I personnaly found that 1 layer of sss for skin work's better

Comment

• Question for Vlado: Should the SSS colors be gamma corrected? The diffuse definitely needs to be. If it matters, I'm using Maya.

Also in a side-by-side comparison, the SSS from the ALsurface (reflections disabled, SSS set to diffusion, single layer SSS) is slower than the SSS2 (reflections disabled). Is that to be expected? I thought that the diffusion method was essentially parallel to the method used by the SSS2, so I would expect roughly the same render times.
              Last edited by sharktacos; 07-12-2016, 11:44 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by sharktacos View Post
                The new nightlies VrayMtl has a switch to go from glossy to rough reflections (inverting the slider). I'd suggest that it would be good if the Vray version of ALsurface also had that too (from rough to glossy).
                I second this. Roughness workflow breaks my brain, and I completely avoid ALsurface due to roughness-only workflow despite its benefits.

Comment

• Originally posted by sharktacos View Post
                  Question for Vlado: Should the SSS colors be gamma corrected? The diffuse definitely needs to be. If it matters, I'm using Maya.
                  The SSS colors are interpreted as distances, so I think they shouldn't be gamma-corrected, but it might be better to ask Anders himself what is his original intention.

Also in a side-by-side comparison, the SSS from the ALsurface (reflections disabled, SSS set to diffusion, single layer SSS) is slower than the SSS2 (reflections disabled). Is that to be expected?
                  Not quite, they should be very similar in speed. What is the speed difference?

Best regards,
                  Vlado

Comment

• Originally posted by Bigguns View Post
                    hi vlado , hows that raytrace id thing going ? ^^ is it out of the oven yet ? haha
                    Sorry for the delayed reply; this is now in the latest nightly builds and will be in beta 2.

Best regards,
                    Vlado

Comment

• On a character note - Bigguns have you seen rogue one yet? Vlado, have you seen it and if so, any ideas on what they did some of the cg people with?

Comment

• i assume renderman... ilms creature department is renderman based...

Comment

• What's fun is they rendered a load of the digital doubles in Civil war in vray for katana

Comment

• if the source data is awesome it should look in all major render engnines similar... i dont think there is much of a quality difference...

Comment

• Originally posted by joconnell View Post
                              Vlado, have you seen it and if so, any ideas on what they did some of the cg people with?
                              I saw it, yes. I have no idea who worked on the digi doubles or what software they used though. The rendering was not too bad, but the animation was really off in my opinion...

Best regards,
                              Vlado

Comment

• Originally posted by vlado View Post
                                Sorry for the delayed reply; this is now in the latest nightly builds and will be in beta 2.

Best regards,
                                Vlado
                                Thank's Vlado ! Can you upgrade also the shader in the wiki, since I use an older Vray version.. can't install the new one.. need to check with the tech support.. my pc has a problem with it.. Thanks Vlado!

Jpcpnnell : Not yet, going tomorrow

Comment

Working...
                                X