No shadow on other mattes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No shadow on other mattes

I know this was requested a LONG time ago -- I saw 2003 on a post...

Can we have an option for "no shadows on other mattes" so that we can use matte objects to receive shadows from a regular object and also cast shadows on that object --- but the matte objects will not cast shadows on each other?

If you go to the Object settings dialog (from the VRay System rollout), there is an option "No GI on other mattes", which does essentially what you are asking for.

Best regards,
    Vlado
    I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

HI Vlado... thanks for responding.

I was aware of that switch... but I think that only works for GI and Vray shadows.

I would like something that works with old-fashioned shadows (shadow mappers usually)... since I do a lot of animation and typically can't render out full GI with Vray lights due to time constraints.

Comment

you use shadows other than vray shadows?

---------------------------------------------------
        MSN addresses are not for newbies or warez users to contact the pros and bug them with
        stupid questions the forum can answer.

Comment

Yes... maybe that's stupid... but I seem to remember that shadow mapped shadows render faster and softer than vray shadows. Of course, it's been so long since I've done a test, I'm sure I could be wrong. I guess I'll have to a do a test right now to check my sanity.

Comment

Okay.... I did a REAL simple test. I'm not totally off base -- vray shadows are definitely slower than shadow mappers.

But I see that the NO GI on other... switch does work nicely on vray shadows.

That may make vrayshadows worthwhile for me -- even though they are slower.

Still, I retain my original request for the wishlist -- if it's doable.. to have shadow mapped lights affected by the NO GI switch -- or a new similar switch.

Still... I learned something very helpful.

Comment

Working...
            X