V-Ray/Blender online meeting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: V-Ray/Blender online meeting

Skype sounds nice, expect that it's not opensource. I have to agree with Sandking, anyone knows, if desktop sharing works with multiple users?

maces

Comment

http://www.dimdim.com/
      http://www.gotomeeting.com/fec/web_meeting
      V-Ray For Houdini | V-Ray Hydra Delegate | VRayScene
      andrei.izrantcev@chaos.com
      Support Request

Comment

Well GoToMeeting wants a credit card and only has 30-day trail. dimdim has also free accounts. From that point I would prefer dimdim, but I think we should give Skype a try, because it's more common (Accounts exists).

maces

Comment

Dim dim looks nice. But to be honest I don't feel like I need to take part of such meeting as I got nothing actually to say :] IRC meeting I think is enough (tell me again - why are we talking about desktop sharing? ).

p.s.

BTW - doesn't Google Wave have online collaboration as it's focus?

Comment

Well sometimes it is easier to just show what you mean, than explaining it with words and single images.

maces

Comment

Yes, but what you would like to show? I mean - if you want to show renders you don't need desktop sharing unless you want everyone to wait for effect and watch moving rectangles. If someone want to talk about UI - well, there's nothing to talk about much really if you don't have mockups showing if you want to change something. Blender development meetings are held on IRC and I'm just wondering if we shouldn't do the same (of course aside the fact that here it will be more developer / users meeting).

Comment

Well you're right. I mean Conference with voice and desktop sharing optional, normall meetings in IRC and when needed, there can be a video session. Always a video conference would be overkill. Sorry for my unclear words.

maces

Comment

Ok, may be you are right - i'll hold this idea for some time and will try to be in irc more frequently =)
                  V-Ray For Houdini | V-Ray Hydra Delegate | VRayScene
                  andrei.izrantcev@chaos.com
                  Support Request

Comment

IRC channel has been quite a success - 5 people were yesterday. So if anyone still hesitates or has imminent problems - come join us!

Comment

Hey Andrey

maybe my experience and expertise in this area might of help.
                      Most mentioned solutions has drawbacks - mainly limitations.

Skype can be easily used for Audio calls which works well
                      in particular with multiple users.

The desktop sharing I you can do with the free version of Teamviewer.
                      It allows the presenter to stream their desktop onto the client of the
                      viewers. Depending on the internet connection one can set it up for
                      speed or quality.

I use Teamviewer for all my student work when they have issues.
                      In the past this combo worked out very good and was very reliable.

Everybody can get a free teamviewer account. Today you can do this
                      even online, meaning the viewers only have to log into the teamviewer
                      account and can stream the desktop into the browser, instead of
                      downloading and installing the client.

Furthermore the online account also allows to add friends. It works like
                      Skype where you can see who is online and connect to the person.

All other options I looked into which are free are insufficient or only work
                      and a one to one based, or are a payed service.

Since the meeting would not be for commercial purpose we also do not
                      run into any license issue with Teamviewer.

Comment

Working...
                      X