Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Feature project development plans?

Hi Andrey,
    I'd like to question you about your plans for the future development of this project.
    As I wrote on another topic I am very new to VRay and still not sure if I will include it in my pipeline. Aside from VRay's price, usability, speed, quality of renderings, etc. a major question is its full and proper integration with Blender and if this integration will continue in the future as Blender evolves.
    So what are your plans about this project - are you looking at it like a long lasting project?
    Are you planing changes in the licensing? Not all of the source code is available through git, so is it actually the entire project under the GPL license?
    If you plan to convert the project or parts of it to a commercial license what about the price?
    Are you actually the only one who is developing the scripts?

Please be as specific as possible. These are the most important questions that actually anybody who's working with Blender and who wants to use any external renderer faces. There are many projects starting quickly and dieing quickly half the way. I am very pleased to see that you are working already a long time on this, but never the less I want to hear your thoughts.

Off topic rant: it is too bad that there isn't such a serious project for integrating a renderman compliant renderer such a 3delight with Blender! I am mostly doing character modeling, not architecture and interiors so honestly 3delight was my first thought, but...

Re: Feature project development plans?

Are you planing changes in the licensing?
    No.

Not all of the source code is available through git
    Entire source code is GPLv2 and is available at github.

If you plan to convert the project or parts of it to a commercial license what about the price?
    No.

Are you actually the only one who is developing the scripts?
    Yes.

So what are your plans about this project
    There is no plans. If you want some specific feature to be developed you can hire me for that.
    Here is an old TODO, most of this already done.

Off topic rant: it is too bad that there isn't such a serious project for integrating a renderman compliant renderer such a 3delight with Blender!
    Look at this exporter: http://mke3.net/3delightblender/
    V-Ray For Houdini | V-Ray Hydra Delegate | VRayScene
    andrei.izrantcev@chaos.com
    Support Request

Comment

Re: Feature project development plans?

Thanks for the reply Andrey. It clarified many questions I had.

As for the exporter for 3delight you point at - it is not a bad one, but unfortunately it is not so actively developed and looks more like a project for a personal use. I had it working with an older build, but not now. There is another one too (by Sasha Fricke), but it is in a similar state.

Comment

Working...
      X