Some wish items for GPU rendering

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Some wish items for GPU rendering

I'm finding more places I can use GPU rendering, but I'm still finding some roadblocks to being able to make full use of it. There are a few nodes that I would really like to see supported in GPU rendering. Here is the start of a list, roughly in order of priority:

1. Color correction (first one on the list)
    2. Sampler (In particular Random by RenderID seed) Edit: there was a problem with remap, now fixed. Thanks!
    3. "Float 3 to A color" and "Vector Curves" (for complex IOR setups) (Edit: was using an old color combine node, it's working with current nodes)

I'm sure there are more, and I'd be interested to see what other nodes others use that could benefit from GPU support.

In general though, I am much appreciative of how far GPU support has come. Many thanks!

Andy
    Last edited by andybot_cg; 06-06-2017, 09:49 AM.

Can you upload test scene please?

Comment

Here's a test file. Glad to say curves are working - looks like perhaps I was using an old node, so scratch item #3
      Click image for larger version

Name:	image_36317.jpg
Views:	342
Size:	298.6 KB
ID:	953508Click image for larger version  Name:	GPU_materials_differences_03GPU.jpg Views:	1 Size:	288.5 KB ID:	953509
      Attached Files

Comment

Thank you for the scene. Just a note - there seems to be a bug with Remap while Random By RenderID Seed works - you can try with Float 3 To AColor for example.

Comment

Is it possible to fix remap for GPU? It's a critical node for vegetation. Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by andybot_cg View Post
            Is it possible to fix remap for GPU? It's a critical node for vegetation. Thanks!
            Yes - it should start working with next nightly.

Comment

Originally posted by poseidon4o View Post

Yes - it should start working with next nightly.
              Excellent! Glad to hear you have a fix. Any chance for the Color Correction to be addressed as well?

Comment

Originally posted by andybot_cg View Post

Excellent! Glad to hear you have a fix. Any chance for the Color Correction to be addressed as well?
                For GPU you should use the second "Color Correct": Click image for larger version  Name:	zlCQCav.png Views:	1 Size:	24.0 KB ID:	954582
                Last edited by poseidon4o; 02-06-2017, 09:32 AM.

Comment

OK, thanks for the pointer. I'll try that out.

Comment

Thanks for the working remap!!

Originally posted by poseidon4o View Post

For GPU you should use the second "Color Correct":
                    Close, but alas, not quite. For some reason the node does not colorize the input, it replaces with a solid color in GPU.
                    Sample file attached.

Andy

Name:	GPU_materials_differences2b_01CPU.jpg
Views:	227
Size:	309.1 KB
ID:	954790

Name:	GPU_materials_differences2b_02GPU.jpg
Views:	209
Size:	363.7 KB
ID:	954789
                    Attached Files

Comment

oops, it's the "projection" mapping node that's broken, not the color node.

Comment

Nice tests andy! My main wish for GPU rendering is the possibility to use it as production renderer and having as many of its features translated into it. So far scenes look too different when rendering with CPU/GPU
                        Windows 10 Pro, 2x GTX 1070, AMD Ryzen7 1800X, 32 GB DDR4 Ram, V-Ray Standalone/Blender, V-Ray 3 for Sketchup, V-Ray 3 for Modo

Comment

Originally posted by afecelis View Post
                          Nice tests andy! My main wish for GPU rendering is the possibility to use it as production renderer and having as many of its features translated into it. So far scenes look too different when rendering with CPU/GPU
                          Render results will never match completely between CPU & GPU (they are different engines). This is not our goal (check this http://dabarti.com/vfx/short-guide-t...with-v-ray-rt/). So switching mid-project between those most often will not work. Although they should be rather close. If they are not, it can be bug.

Best,
                          Blago.
                          V-Ray fan.
                          Looking busy around GPUs ...
                          RTX ON

Comment

savage309 I am interested in working on projects in GPU from the start, but I keep running into features that are lacking so I keep being stuck to CPU only. I want to make sure I have a working material library when interactive rendering finally comes to V-Ray for Blender

Comment

If you start with the GPU, you will probably end up finding things that work on the GPU, but doesn't on the CPU The GPU works fine for many clients that have switched to it for production rendering.

Best,
                              Blago.
                              V-Ray fan.
                              Looking busy around GPUs ...
                              RTX ON

Comment

Working...
                              X