Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vray 5 - Flakes / Glitter

Hello,

i recently made the switch to vray 5. Now i have to recreate almost all my shaders.

The material that i have to use in almost ever rendering is a dark, matte, structured, powder coating called DB703.
    The problem is that this material has a lot of glitter / flakes in it. In the last vray version i used the old vray-material with flakes.

How can i reproduce this kind of flakes with vray5? I have tried a blend material with a alpha map using c4d noise shader - but it never looked realistic.

Another question - does anyone know the correct reflection ior for this kind of powder coating?

Comment

I would probably approach it with an blend material - base mtl and stochastic flakes on top.
      From there it's all about the base color and the amount of flakes you want
      Attached Files

Comment

I have tried but never used it before.. but honestly i don't understand how it works.
        The flakes are too large... and too bright...
        Last edited by daCaMo; 09-02-2021, 04:59 AM.

Comment

You can tune the flakes aspect from the stochastic shader, you have tons of controls, just check the manual to understand all the parameters
          If that isn't enough you can also use a custom map for simulating the flakes (you can build that easily if needed), you will need a base metal-like shader with a rough surface, then you can add a coat layer for the flakes, insert a B/W map for isolate the individual flakes and a normal map for give them a random inclination so that they'll reflect randomly depending on the ray angle, here is a small sample from a much larger map I've made for my shader collection:
          Click image for larger version

Name:	image_62805.jpg
Views:	909
Size:	102.7 KB
ID:	1101972
          3D Scenes, Shaders and Courses for V-ray and Corona
          NEW V-Ray 5 Metal Shader Bundle (C4D/Max): https://www.3dtutorialandbeyond.com/...ders-cinema4d/
          www.3dtutorialandbeyond.com
          @3drenderandbeyond on social media @3DRnB Twitter

Comment

Thanks Sirio. I tried everything with stochastic flakes. But never got any good result.
            The way with an alpha map was the next thing i wanted to try. Thats similar to my approach with the noise shader. Thanks.
            Do you have an example where you used the flakes in your collection?

There aren't many flakes in this material. This is what i have created in the older vray.... not the best but ok....
            Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by daCaMo View Post
              Thanks Sirio. I tried everything with stochastic flakes. But never got any good result.
              The way with an alpha map was the next thing i wanted to try. Thats similar to my approach with the noise shader. Thanks.
              Do you have an example where you used the flakes in your collection?

There aren't many flakes in this material. This is what i have created in the older vray.... not the best but ok....
              I've tested a map-based flake system in a couple shaders of my collection but that was for a very different purpose.
              Here I've done a quick test using a stochastic flakes coating inside a blend shader (I've used one of your image as reference), it can be improved with a bit more work but for a proper setup I'll need a physical sample of the material.

Click image for larger version  Name:	test flakes.jpg Views:	0 Size:	195.7 KB ID:	1101998Click image for larger version  Name:	image_62776.jpg Views:	0 Size:	178.3 KB ID:	1101999
              Last edited by sirio76; 09-02-2021, 02:50 PM.
              NEW V-Ray 5 Metal Shader Bundle (C4D/Max): https://www.3dtutorialandbeyond.com/...ders-cinema4d/

Comment

sirio76 That's more than perfect!!! I wrote you PM.
                Last edited by daCaMo; 09-02-2021, 03:21 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by daCaMo View Post
                  sirio76 That's more than perfect!!! I wrote you PM.
                  I sent the link for the shader in PM

Comment

Hello to you
                    I too am interested in this kind of texture.
                    But I have never used this kind of textures.
                    Sirio this kind of texture is it present (https://www.3dtutorialandbeyond.com/store/)

Comment

Originally posted by azeofmars View Post
                      Hello to you
                      I too am interested in this kind of texture.
                      But I have never used this kind of textures.
                      Sirio this kind of texture is it present (https://www.3dtutorialandbeyond.com/store/)
                      Hi, I'm still testing this shader since I'm not totally satisfied with the results, I'm waiting for a physical sample so that I can evaluate all the properties and tune some details. Once completed it will be part of our metal shader collection

Comment

Working...
                      X