X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Video: ObjectID and MaterialID masks in V-Ray 3 and V-Ray 5 explained

Hi everyone,

Since we had a lot of questions and confusion where are the ObjectID and MaterialID masks in V-Ray 3 I've decided to make a quick video explaining why there is a difference between the ObjectID and MaterialID Render Elements in V-Ray 3 and V-Ray 5 and how to solve them.

Spoiler alert - the actual ObjectID and MaterialID render elements never existed in V-Ray 3.

Last edited by shaio; 07-04-2021, 03:16 AM.
    Ivan Shaykov
    chaos.com

Thank you for making this tutorial! This was very useful

Comment

I distinctly remember assigning a object ID in 3.xx -3.6 to an object and seeing the number on the tag.

Comment

thanks a lot. really helpful

Comment

I distinctly remember assigning a object ID in 3.xx -3.6 to an object and seeing the number on the tag.
          That would be super useful if we could see those on the Object Properties tag again.

Comment

Hello KernitTheFont,

We have already logged a feature request for this. I will let you know once we any updates on the matter.
            Last edited by aleksandar.kasabov; 21-06-2021, 07:16 AM.
            Aleksandar Kasabov
            chaos.com

Comment

Still can't figure out how to add this to my renders. I've got just two items, so two matte Ids. One shows. The other doesn't. I've set the rbg to the two ID numbers on the object tag. There's no matte id to add in the multiples choices...

Comment

Hello jim_mcdonald,

I apologize for the delayed reply.

Could you please send us the scene in question so we can check what might be wrong there? Thank you.
                Aleksandar Kasabov
                chaos.com

Comment

This could be a bit off topic but I allways wanted to have a conmprehensive material tag manager for vray. Something like table or chart with a list of all materials and the material id-s next to them, maybe an object id manager as well so you can easily assign and modify the compositing tag or materials. I know this is probably out of the scope of the basic workflow tools that were included in 3.7 but this would be a godsend.

Comment

Hello all,

I would like to let you know that with the latest stable builds the icon of the Object Properties tag now shows the current Object ID number. Please note that the current limitation is that this will be implemented only for IDs from 1 to 9, similar to the way it was implemented in V-Ray 3.7.

You can download the latest stable build from here.
                    Aleksandar Kasabov
                    chaos.com

Comment

Oh, grate. 9 IDs.
                      I thought this function is to keep a visual overview over my dozent Object-ID's.
                      That must be a joke. I mostly have 20 or more different IDs.

Comment

Hello TZett,

Please note that at the moment the IDs in the ObjectProperties icon tag will display from 1 to 9 as displaying 2 digit numbers in the icon makes them unreadable. We will see if this can be improved in the future. Until then, if you need to see the Object ID, you can display the object ID of the currently selected object in the viewport with a simple xpresso script.
                        Aleksandar Kasabov
                        chaos.com

Comment

Hello Aleksandar,
                          when I still need a xpresso rig to show the Object-ID's, then this new function is quite useless right?
                          That's so frustrating.

Comment

Hello TZett,

I understand your frustration.

The ObjectProperties icon is currently limited to display IDs from 1 to 9. We will see if this can be improved in the future. I will let you know if we have more information to share.

Thank you.
                            Aleksandar Kasabov
                            chaos.com

Comment

That doesn't sound very promising.
                              But thank you for the try.
                              ...Let's put it back on the to do list.

Comment

Working...
                              X