2D Displacement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2D Displacement

I have made some tests with displacement.

I'm note quite sure but:
    . Displacement works with Meshes AND other Bodies (for examples simple boxes oder extrusion Bodies)
    . 2D Displacement is linked to a texture (for example with box mapping), Displacement does not work (maybe in my case because there is no UV)
    . 2D Displacement works, if its not linked to a texture...but then it uses UV Mapping
    . Normal Displacement works fine imo

Is it a bug that, if 2D Displacement is linked to a texture with box mapping, the size don't match or not working??

As far as I can tell you need UV mapping for the 2D mode. If you don’t have UV coordinate you can simply map using a flat projection and then use the command to convert it to UV.
    3D Scenes, Shaders and Courses for V-ray and Corona
    NEW V-Ray 5 Metal Shader Bundle (C4D/Max): https://www.3dtutorialandbeyond.com/...ders-cinema4d/
    www.3dtutorialandbeyond.com
    @3drenderandbeyond on social media @3DRnB Twitter

Comment

Originally posted by sirio76 View Post
      As far as I can tell you need UV mapping for the 2D mode. If you don’t have UV coordinate you can simply map using a flat projection and then use the command to convert it to UV.
      You never use the "normal" Displacement?

Comment

Of course I do For complex geometry I use often the normal mode, for larger areas I prefer the 2D mode.
        Be careful when dealing with the normal mode, If you want to get an efficient usage you need to set correctly more parameters, using 2D mode it's easier to control..
        I find the default for normal mode to be sub-optimal, I mean they can work fine but most likely they will use quite a lot of RAM and they will require longer precompute time, by tuning correctly edge length/max subdivision according to your needs you can speedup render time and save RAM usage.
        NEW V-Ray 5 Metal Shader Bundle (C4D/Max): https://www.3dtutorialandbeyond.com/...ders-cinema4d/

Comment

Thanks!
          I hope u don't mind another question?
          I prefer to model with splines and the for example extrude them. I keep it this way as long as possible. I like the possibilty to modify the spline if necessary.

How do u model? With meshes?
          I was surprised, to see that displacement works even with extrusion body without converting.

Comment

Displacement works on both procedural and polygonal geometry. Your modeling technique really depends on what you are doing, modeling using spline maybe fine for some stuff but inefficient for other, if you post a sample of your work it will be easier to suggest the best technique.

Comment

Working...
            X