Working with Falloff + Remap in Node materials

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Working with Falloff + Remap in Node materials

Hi, I was doing some tests on fabric materials and what I noticed (I used Node materials):

When I want to make satin material for example, and I use the Falloff node connected to the diffuse channel it is OK. But when I introduce the Remap after the Falloff, to fix the curve, and plug it directly into the diffuse map, it becomes very weird.

On the other hand, If I use Falloff + Remap as a mask for a Mix material, and plug this into the Diffuse via the Mix, it becomes OK..

Is this OK? Is the right approach when using Falloff+Remap always using it as a mask and not directly?

Thanks

Hello lukas_kostka Could you please share with us a scene with the materials so we can take a look. It seems to be working as expected on our side.

Also, please share the two renders showing what do you mean by "weird".

What version of V-Ray are you using?

Comment

viktor_angelov Hello and thank you.
      I am currently using Vray 6.10
      Please, see the images attached.
      Satin01 - fabric setup with falloff + remap connected as a mask in Mix, works fine
      Satin02 - fabric setup with falloff no remap directly into diffuse, works fine
      Satin03 - fabric setup with falloff + remap directly into diffuse, this is what I call "weird". Falloff and Remap curves should all have the same settings, can't figure out what am I missing.
      I will share the scene via PM.
      Thanks.
      Attached Files

Comment

lukas_kostka Thank you! We will investigate the situation and come back to you once more information is available.

Comment

As discussed, everything seems to work as expected. If the Spline is changed so will the color.

It is expected that if you change the place of a Node, the result changes with it.​

Comment

viktor_angelov Thank you, Viktor for looking at it.
            I don't know. To me, it seems that remap in the case when put between Falloff and Diffuse color affects HUE. Colors change. In the case of using it as a mix map to control the falloff that does not happen, only the transitions between front and back falloff color changes. So I ma just trying to figure it out how it works.

Comment

Unfortunately, the other issue you might have is that the remap node is not working properly. The control spline is not interpreted as it's displayed, and vray only transfers the postiion of the point you create on the spline and not the tangents. This has been an issue for a while now.

Comment

akos_kiss Oh, OK, haven't noticed this before but consider me a novice. So can you share any workaround for this problem? For me, the remap in Falloff works when used as a mask in mix mode, but I haven't tested the tangents properly.
                The other thing that bugs me is the Dirt shader which I find particularly hard to work with and get decently controllable results, but maybe it's just me. Thanks.

Comment

Working...
                X