Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Native Terrain Mask worked in older v-ray versions, but not anymore?

Collapse
This topic has been answered.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Native Terrain Mask worked in older v-ray versions, but not anymore?

Hello, it seems the native c4d terrain mask shader did work as expected in older v-ray versions, but I can't get this to work in V-Ray 6. This feature would be awesome to have working again!

See video with this working here:
    https://youtu.be/XDXBWFTLxfg?feature=shared&t=784

Also see my attached screenshot where I can somewhat emulate this using a VRayLayered > masked with VRayFalloff (Distance Blend) > VRayFalloff (Perpendicular) x2. But it leaves some snow on unwanted areas, and no real slope control.
    Attached Files
  • Answer selected by viktor_angelov at 17-10-2023, 12:23 AM.

Hello torebernhoft We are currently not supporting the Terrain Mask. You can find all of the Supported features here: https://docs.chaos.com/display/VC4D/...ading-Textures

Comment

Hello torebernhoft We are currently not supporting the Terrain Mask. You can find all of the Supported features here: https://docs.chaos.com/display/VC4D/...ading-Textures

Comment

Originally posted by viktor_angelov View Post
        Hello viktor_angelov Thanks, yes I know I have studied this list of supported features many times. My question is why was it supported on earlier V-Rays versions, but not anymore?

Comment

Thank you for clarifying that, torebernhoft

Please, keep in mind that others developed and supported the earliest versions of V-Ray for Cinema 4D. When we took over we re-wrote V-Ray 5 completely. V-Ray 3.5 had features that has been deprecated from V-Ray 5.
          It is not expected that everything has been converted as a lot has been changed or replaced.​

Comment

Thank you for clarifying that, torebernhoft

Please, keep in mind that others developed and supported the earliest versions of V-Ray for Cinema 4D. When we took over we re-wrote V-Ray 5 completely. V-Ray 3.5 had features that has been deprecated from V-Ray 5.
            It is not expected that everything has been converted as a lot has been changed or replaced.​
            I understand now I will manage with the VRayFalloff at the moment. But it would be fantastic if we get native terrain shader support in the future!

Comment

Hi,

We have an upcoming project that will have a bigger amount of enviroment work required. The vray falloff shader is ok, but since the remap node is sill not working properly it is a pain to get exact results from it.

The terrain shader (among others) would be a really useful addition to vray. Even if it only works with the c4d bake shader. A bunch of these effects shaders have been unsupported since vray 5. There are some that are totally deprecated because of v-rays built in shaders but here are a few that are really useful and now the only workflow is to bake these shaders as images or image sequences and somehow try to recreate it in v-ray. If you want to animate the terrain mask for example you have to bake out an animated sequence and then import it back in.

IMHO there are a few shaders that are still needed. Not in any order i listed them below.
              • Terrain mask
              • Distorter
              • Weathering
              • Ripple
              • Spline
              • Variation

Comment

The fidelity of a native (even baked) Terrain mask ++ c4d shaders would be much better and faster to use. I have tried messing around with rendering out maps as you mention akos_kiss but the results are not as good, and sometimes even impossible to get right. So yes it would be amazing to have these "native" in V-Ray

Comment

Hello akos_kiss torebernhoft Thank you for your feedback and suggestions. We have logged them into our system and will be discussing them [VC4D-2032]

Comment

Hello akos_kiss torebernhoft Thank you for your feedback and suggestions. We have logged them into our system and will be discussing them [VC4D-2032]
                    Very nice! You are the best!

Comment

Working...
                    X