This topic has been answered.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Messed up focal distance in V-Ray 6.2

Thanks, Chaos Group, for a another great update! I really appreciate your efforts.

Unfortunately I ran into a rather strange issue after opening a scene that was created in C4D 2023 / V-Ray 6.1 in C4D 2024 / V-Ray 6.2.

I often use null objects as some sort of basic camera rig in combination with focus objects to move and rotate cameras around objects, but this setup is messing up the focal distance since the 6.2 update.

V-Ray seems to somehow consider the world Z coordinate values of the focus object and the null object containing the camera to compute the focal distance. I tried to isolate the issue in this little scene:

https://we.tl/t-qRIDBPqNXn

The red sphere is the focus object. It sits at XYZ 0/0/1000 just as the null object carrying the camera. The white spheres are for reference purpose, they sit 100 units away from each other in Z direction.

Rendering the scene will give you this result:

Click image for larger version

Name:	20240113_Vray62_FocalDistance_01.jpg
Views:	216
Size:	33.9 KB
ID:	1199673

If you remove the focus object from the camera (which doesn't change the focal distance) or remove the camera from the null object (and leave the focus object in place) you'll get the correct result with the red sphere in focus:

Click image for larger version

Name:	20240113_Vray62_FocusDistance_02.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	31.9 KB
ID:	1199674

Even positioning the null with the camera and the focus object at XYZ 0/0/0 or moving the axis of the null object -1000 units in negative Z direction (object space) compensates for the shifted focal distance.​

I've no idea what is happening here... Your help would be highly appreciated!
  • Answer selected by viktor_angelov at 15-01-2024, 05:15 AM.

Hi greymiura - the issue is still caused by V-Ray, but what we wanted to say is that the problem was also present in V-Ray 6.1 for Cinema 4D 2024. The problem was present since we initially added support for Cinema 4D 2024.

Anyhow, a fix is already in the working and will hopefully soon be available. Thanks for your report.

Comment

Hello greymiura Thank you for taking the time to share this with us! Our Developers have managed to reproduce the issue and have logged it in our system [VC4D-2153]

Please, note, that the issue is not caused by the V-Ray versions but by the Cinema versions (2023 and 2024). We will continue investigating it and will contact you if the matter is further resolved.

Comment

Thank you for your notice, viktor_angelov! I'm sorry for blaming it on V-Ray. I didn't investigate further what exactly caused the issue.

Hopefully you'll nevertheless be able to find a solution - it would help a lot.​

Comment

Hi greymiura - the issue is still caused by V-Ray, but what we wanted to say is that the problem was also present in V-Ray 6.1 for Cinema 4D 2024. The problem was present since we initially added support for Cinema 4D 2024.

Anyhow, a fix is already in the working and will hopefully soon be available. Thanks for your report.
          Deyan Hadzhiev
          Developer
          chaos.com

Comment

Thanks again, deyan.hadzhiev - great!

Comment

Hello greymiura The fix should be available in the latest Stable build (17th of Jan) Feel free to download it and test from here: https://nightlies.chaos.com/main#/vr...e/6.2/20240117

Comment

I have a similar issue with R21. If the camera has no parent the "focus object" is working properly. But if you put the camera in another object and this object is not on 0/0/0, the "focus object" is not working anymore.

Comment

Hi steilvorlage.de, yes the issue affected both 2024 and R21, the versions in-between should not be affected. Have you tried the latest stable builds if the fix works OK for you?
                  Deyan Hadzhiev
                  Developer
                  chaos.com

Comment

I made a workaround to fix it.

Comment

Working...
                    X