Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VFB History save as JPG

Hi,

It seems the VFB history is always saved as vrimg ?
    Would it be possible to have an setting to save them in other formats (jpg) ?
    that would save a lot of disk space if you just want to document the work progress.

btw.. "Use Project Path" seems to be still unsupported (as reported here)

best, index

Hi index,

The VFB history keeps the images as vrimg as you can then always get back to the image with its render elements, layers, and other settings, which won't be possible if the image is saved as jpg.

You can change the Max Size on Disk (MBs) parameter in the VFB History settings if you don't want the history to take too much space. When the history exceeds the specified amount, the oldest images are deleted. You can find more information about the History settings here.

btw.. "Use Project Path" seems to be still unsupported (as reported here)
    We are aware of this issue and we have that logged in our internal system (bug ID: VC4D-632). I will let you know once we have any updates on the matter. Thanks.
    Aleksandar Kasabov
    chaos.com

Comment

The VFB history keeps the images as vrimg as you can then always get back to the image with its render elements, layers, and other settings, which won't be possible if the image is saved as jpg.
      Hi Aleksandar,
      I'm aware of that... but in 95% of all cases the history is just used to compare variants and try outs...
      With loads of test renderings saving all the VFB history takes just too much space.
      I guess the VFB history is just something else than the list in the PV.

What do you think about a functionality to auto-mirror the VFB output (beauty) to the PV...
      That would be elegant because you could check the last pics, you'd have a list of all jobs with each frame, render times, job total time etc
      just an idea...

best, index
      Last edited by index; 07-07-2022, 12:58 AM.

Comment

Hello index,

I'm aware of that... but in 95% of all cases the history is just used to compare variants and try outs...
        With loads of test renderings saving all the VFB history takes just too much space.
        I guess the VFB history is just something else than the list in the PV.
        We will consider if the images in the History can be saved in different formats but for now, I can't guarantee anything. I will let you know if we have a decision on that.

What do you think about a functionality to auto-mirror the VFB output (beauty) to the PV...
        That would be elegant because you could check the last pics, you'd have a list of all jobs with each frame, render times, job total time etc
        just an idea...
        Thanks for the feedback. I have added a request for that (ID: VC4D-1434) and I will keep you posted on its progress.

Thank you.
        Aleksandar Kasabov
        chaos.com

Comment

Hello,
          Doubling those requests, as I also asked about these functionalities - a long time ago.
          Quick history, like in PV with no unnecessary memory waste - maybe let us only store the main pass?
          And also frame number would b e very nice.

Use Project Path - still not settled? Come on...

Thanks!
          www.rwvision.com.pl

Comment

Hello RwVision,

Doubling those requests, as I also asked about these functionalities - a long time ago.
            Quick history, like in PV with no unnecessary memory waste - maybe let us only store the main pass?
            We have an internal discussion about this and how it could be implemented. We will let you know if we have more information on the matter.

And also frame number would b e very nice.
            This has been requested previously and we have logged the request in our system(request ID: VC4D-920). I will let you know once we have any updates.

Use Project Path - still not settled? Come on...
            I am afraid that this issue has not yet been fixed. We are constantly working on fixing bugs and implementing new features/ improving existing ones. I hope you understand that all this requires time and prioritizing the bugs that need to be fixed is not easy as everyone has different workflow and different needs. I will let you know once we have any updates on this issue.

Thank you for your patience and understanding.
            Aleksandar Kasabov
            chaos.com

Comment

Thank you for a quick answer. Not critical, but would be nice to see those.

Thanks!
              www.rwvision.com.pl

Comment

The use project path turned out to be a tricky one, and we still haven't found a good solution. The VFB is a shared resource between V-Ray integrations, and this includes the use Project Path option. You see in 3D software like 3Ds Max and Maya you can have only one scene open per session, where in cinema 4D you can have multiple, and this could lead to various issues when the VFB looks for the current active project path. Max and Maya have their own predefined project paths from the start and it's easy to make this option work where in Cinema 4D you don't have a project path until you save the document which leave us with no choice but to start defaulting to the Cinema 4D's preferences folder to write vrimg files that could easily start taking gigabytes of storage in no time without the user really realize what is going on. I hope this makes sense and answers why this is still not being worked on or planned. There will be a solution at one point, and we'd like it to be a good and flexible one.
                Thank you for the understanding and feedback.
                Last edited by shaio; 08-07-2022, 03:18 AM.
                Ivan Shaykov
                chaos.com

Comment

Hi, Shaio,
                  I think an "auto-mirror beauty pass to the PV" option in the render settings or preferences would be a very efficient solution.
                  you render to your project folder anyway, so as in C4D or Vray3 you have the "history" stored in the format given by the render settings.
                  the PV could be an easy way to show (re-access) what was rendered and have a list of frame times / batch total times which is needed sometimes.
                  Storing the VFB history as JPG wouldn't be needed then (it wouldn't solve the missing list with the render times anyway).
                  best, index
                  Last edited by index; 11-07-2022, 02:57 AM.

Comment

Hi index, I am glad to inform you that the issue you were facing with VFB settings / History not working, logged into our system [VC4D-632] is now resolved.

You can find the fix implemented in the latest V-Ray for Cinema stable build (after 9th of April)
                    https://nightlies.chaos.com/main#/vray6c4d/stable/6.2

Thank you for your patience and enjoy your time with V-Ray.​​
                    Daniel Kapsazov | chaos.com
                    Chaos Support Representative | contact us

Comment

Working...
                    X