Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Could you help me understand why my character renders with what looks like tons of spheres?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Could you help me understand why my character renders with what looks like tons of spheres?

I'm using kinefx fbx character import and i convert the principled shader to a vraymaterialbuilder, then I get a really strange render like my character is covered in thousands of spheres. Could anyon point me in the right direction?

These are points - when vray sees points that are not part of a mesh, it renders them as spheres. Check your geometry
    Hristo Velev
    MD/FX Lead, Bottleship VFX
    Sofia, Bulgaria

Comment

Originally posted by glacierise View Post
      These are points - when vray sees points that are not part of a mesh, it renders them as spheres. Check your geometry
      Hey, thanks for the tip. This is an FBX that renders fine with Mantra and imports and renders into Maya, UE4, Blender etc etc and renders no problems. Just my mesh and skeleton. What points do you think it could be?

Is it possible this is just a KineFX FBXCharacterImport + Vray issue?
      Attached Files

Comment

I'd have to see the scene to tell exactly, but I guess you'd be better off only sending the character mesh for rendering - split it off from the rest after you're done with the animation, and send that to render.
        Hristo Velev
        MD/FX Lead, Bottleship VFX
        Sofia, Bulgaria

Comment

I sometimes have issues with free floating points that render as spheres. A quick (and bit hacky) fix for that is to through a pscale attribute with 0 on the mesh. points will still be there, but they are scaled to 0 so you will not see them.

Comment

Originally posted by glacierise View Post
            I'd have to see the scene to tell exactly, but I guess you'd be better off only sending the character mesh for rendering - split it off from the rest after you're done with the animation, and send that to render.
            For sure. If I could ask you, here is the scene. Once I created a project, saved to it and made the FBX path relative to the project the materials disappeared from the viewport - neither here nor there, but just to mention...

https://drive.google.com/file/d/13qv...ew?usp=sharing

The character uses UDIM so there are multiple UDIM tiles. If my scene is a mess, you could load the FBX in a blank scene. All I'm trying to do at this very first step is render the character with its textures using VRAY.

Comment

I just updated the google drive link with a Victoria folder that includes the textures. Not sure if the FBX will link to them or not, but either way the issue happens even without the UDIM textures.

Comment

Originally posted by ronald_a View Post
                I sometimes have issues with free floating points that render as spheres. A quick (and bit hacky) fix for that is to through a pscale attribute with 0 on the mesh. points will still be there, but they are scaled to 0 so you will not see them.
                Could you post what that node network or vex might look like? Sorry I'm still fairly new to Houdini

Comment

just add a point wrangle under you potentially problematic geo and enter: f@pscale=0;

Comment

Originally posted by ronald_a View Post
                    just add a point wrangle under you potentially problematic geo and enter: f@pscale=0;
                    Thnx, I tried it everywhere but it didn't fix the issue
                    Attached Files

Comment

I'd need to see the scene to understand whats going on

Comment

Set this to "no point rendering" from default "render unconnected points".
                        V-Ray For Houdini | V-Ray Hydra Delegate | VRayScene
                        andrei.izrantcev@chaos.com
                        Support Request

Comment

Originally posted by bdancer View Post
                          Set this to "no point rendering" from default "render unconnected points".
                          Thanks for the tip! what node is that?

From your image it looks like it is about to say (Mantra) lol : )

edit: found it in the Geo Render tab
                          Last edited by lagauche; 24-03-2021, 03:56 AM.

Comment

Hi lagauche,

You can also use and "add" sop and use the option "Remove Unused Points" in the Polygons tab to remove any points that are not part of primitives and clean up your mesh so that doesn't happen again.

Click image for larger version

Name:	add.JPG
Views:	392
Size:	12.9 KB
ID:	1108426

Best,
                            David.
                            David Anastácio // Accenture Song - VFX
                            https://www.accenture.com/us-en/serv...visual-effects

Comment

Originally posted by david.anastacio View Post
                              Hi lagauche,

You can also use and "add" sop and use the option "Remove Unused Points" in the Polygons tab to remove any points that are not part of primitives and clean up your mesh so that doesn't happen again.

Click image for larger version

Name:	add.JPG
Views:	392
Size:	12.9 KB
ID:	1108426

Best,
                              David.
                              Hey David, actually I did try that many times. It doesn't work in this instance for some reason! Hope i'm wrong, but pretty sure.

Comment

Working...
                              X