No announcement yet.

Material Builder Sub Material Issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

> but if you go to stage and enable viewport rendering it doesn't work at all.

Well, I don't see "name" translated as primvar to the stage.
    I guess it'll work if you'll make it translated into the stage.
    V-Ray For Houdini | V-Ray Hydra Delegate | VRayScene
    andrei.izrantcev@chaos.com
    Support Request

Comment

bdancer thanks for all the help so far, I apologize for my ignorance, I've just started trying to use Solaris so I'm unfamiliar with the correct workflow, so I'm not sure what you mean by translated as primvar.

Cheers.

Comment

> so I'm not sure what you mean by translated as primvar.

Well, you'll have to find some resources of how USD / Solaris works.
        Support Request

Comment

Alright, thanks for your help.

Comment

bdancer Should the Vray Material Builder material work in Solaris? or is it only Vray Material Node that work? This seems to be very confusing and I've been trying to figure out the correct way to do this for a while now, but it doesn't seem to work.

In SOPS if I have a Vray Material Builder node applied as a material path. The output node decides what gets applied as expected, but if you apply it to the geometry explicitly it just appears black like it can't see what the output node is doing.

However, if I apply the material/sub material for example: VrayMaterialBuilder/Green Material to the geometry that renders fine.

See the attached Screenshots.

Click image for larger version

Name:	SOPS_VMB_Working.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	855.0 KB
ID:	1202392 Click image for larger version

Name:	Solaris_VMB_SubMaterial_Working.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	1.06 MB
ID:	1202394 Click image for larger version

Name:	Solaris_VMB_notWorking.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	993.2 KB
ID:	1202393

Comment

This is because scene import (all) node imports all materials with VOP material flag enabled and messes the generated primitives. Set "additional materials" from "*" to empty.
              I'll highly recommend to not use any imports and decide where do you want to work: in Solaris or regular VFH; this will save you a lot of time with this kind of issues.
              USD workflow is completely different and I'm not sure it's a good idea to mix approaches this way... especially with import all...
              Support Request

Comment

bdancer Okay, I see, thanks for the info and advice. I was hoping to import the scene that I originally created in Sops/Geo to Solaris to take advantage of that workflow.

Cheers.

Comment

> to take advantage of that workflow.

May I ask what's the advantage here? I mean you have everything setup with non-Solaris, what Solaris functionality will be utilized?
                  Support Request

Comment

bdancer

There are a few things I would like to do with Solaris:

Use the place Highlight feature.
                    Have different lighting setups for different camera views (this is the main one)
                    Quickly create variations of different lighting and geometry setups.

As far as I have seen it basically adds the functionality from SOPS to the OBJ level which has a lot of advantages for me when I do product visualization.

Cheers.

Comment

Well ok, setting "additional materials" from "*" to empty will fix your material issues.
                      As for geometry attributes transfer you'll have to figure it out if you'll still need "name" attribute to work.
                      Support Request

Comment

Thanks so much for all the help. bdancer

Comment

Working...
                        X