Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Problem with triplanar and normals on GPU and CPU - strange behaviour

Hello,

I'm encountering some issues with normals in conjunction with triplanar mapping. In CPU mode, it works mostly as expected, but there are some inconsistencies.​

Click image for larger version  Name:	image.png Views:	0 Size:	2.14 MB ID:	1211305
    Here, normals are working ok​ in all axes.

But as soon as I plug a remap on texture_y of triplanar node the normal of that side gets inverted on the red channel (this doesn't happend on x and z textures of triplanar)

Click image for larger version  Name:	image.png Views:	0 Size:	2.15 MB ID:	1211306

So to get the exact same result as before I have to invert the ramp of the red channel.

Click image for larger version  Name:	image.png Views:	0 Size:	2.17 MB ID:	1211307

This leads to another problem, this time on GPU mode (RTX and CUDA).
    Here the triplanar node seems to have the same problem as CPU but also when using the same texture on all axes of the triplanar

Click image for larger version  Name:	image.png Views:	0 Size:	2.14 MB ID:	1211308

All of this suggests there is something wrong inside the triplanar node as this is not the first problem encountered using this node with GPU rendering.

I've attach the scene used for this example. Done in Houdini 20.0.688 and latest Vray nightly build.

Attached Files
    Last edited by gagui; Yesterday, 01:20 AM.
    www.gaell.com

Hey gagui ,

Thank you for the demo file, it's highly appreciated! I'll get back to you when I know more.

Best regards!
    gosho.genchev@chaosgroup.com

Comment

Working...
    X