X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to render animation from LOPs

Hi all,
    me again.

Im having a hard time rendering out a turntable animation from LOPs using Vray.

It seems to render 1 exr frame and just hang there

Thanks
    Steve
    Last edited by bdancer; 21-02-2024, 05:08 AM.

This has nothing to do with Vray. Make sure to check "render all frames with a single process" on the Rop node

Comment

Thanks but that doesnt seem to fix it for me. Its just stuck after rendering one exr to disk. Its very odd. I will keep trying.

Do we have to use a USD_rop to write the animation to a usd file on disk? Or can we just use a USD_Render_Rop?

Im also getting errors now like "[18:24:25] Error: Output file 'karma.exr' should have variables"

It would be great if there was some documentation on how to render animation from LOPs with Vray.
      Last edited by stevejjd; 20-02-2024, 12:25 AM.

Comment

I can only ever manage to render a single exr

Comment

I had this problem, too.

One way to get a sequence out for me is to use "Non-Hydra Output" in rendersettings/Vray/Output and set the USD Render Rop Override Output Image to mplay / ip.

Click image for larger version  Name:	image.png Views:	0 Size:	42.2 KB ID:	1202494
          Click image for larger version  Name:	image.png Views:	0 Size:	15.8 KB ID:	1202495

Another way is to write out a USD File and render from that file. Also works nicely with the commandline utility.​

And doublecheck if the USD Render Rop Delegate is set to vray, sometimes this gets missed.

Comment

> One way to get a sequence out for me is to use "Non-Hydra Output"

Use non-Hydra output ONLY for debug purposes. Hydra itself writes data perfectly.

> It would be great if there was some documentation on how to render animation from LOPs with Vray.

There is no need for this documentation to be V-Ray specific, because V-Ray is not involved in the
            output image writing - everything is done by the USD/Hydra. So, just refer to the Houdini/Solaris
            documentation.

> Im having a hard time rendering out a turntable animation from LOPs using Vray.
            > It seems to render 1 exr frame and just hang there​

So, it works for you in Karma, but not in V-Ray?

> Im also getting errors now like "[18:24:25] Error: Output file 'karma.exr' should have variables"

Yes, and you'll have the same error for Karma as well if you'll render animation.
            I've already explained all of this here with example scene and command lines https://forums.chaos.com/forum/v-ray...ender-via-husk
            V-Ray For Houdini | V-Ray Hydra Delegate | VRayScene
            andrei.izrantcev@chaos.com
            Support Request

Comment

Thanks for the reply. Still finding it more tricky. Arnold, Renderman and Karma are very easy but Ive been stuck all day here.
              It just renders a single exr. may have to ditch vray as Im on a deadline here. May have to just use Renderman. Its definetly harder to get vray going.
              Last edited by stevejjd; 20-02-2024, 02:52 AM.

Comment

> It just renders a single exr.

Your setup is wrong. I've shown and explained everything. Not Arnold, not Karma, not V-Ray are even writing the image, it's husk/Hydra task to write it...
                I'm not sure how to help you.
                Last edited by bdancer; 20-02-2024, 04:11 AM.
                Support Request

Comment

Originally posted by stevejjd View Post
                  Thanks for the reply. Still finding it more tricky. Arnold, Renderman and Karma are very easy but Ive been stuck all day here.
                  It just renders a single exr. may have to ditch vray as Im on a deadline here. May have to just use Renderman. Its definetly harder to get vray going.
                  Post a scene or a repro to see what you are doing wrong.

Comment

Thanks so much for helping me out. I smply ran out of time to trouble shoot it. Unfortunately, I can't share a screenshot or scene sample. I have a workflow with Renderman thats working fine. The only two I could get working were Karma and Renderman.

Ill go over the scene bdancer so kindly gave at some point when I have time. Just quickly glancing at it I can see you need to know how to run some code. Unfortunately I'm not a technical person.

I would love to point out one of the best rendering workflows ive seen here Lops Lighting Quickstart - Houdini and CG tips (tokeru.com)

Have a look at the end where Karma is set up to render in the background with TOPs. I suggest it be possible for Vray to render in this way as I find it extreemly handy.

Thanks again for everyone's comments.

Steve

Comment

No code is involved. It is just using the USD Render rop picking the delegate (in this case Vray) and press render to disk. Also using a TOP network works with Vray the same way that Matt is explaining.

So is a user error on your part. Make a repro scene if you can not share the original file.
                      Attached Files
                      Last edited by hsz; 20-02-2024, 11:02 PM.

Comment

> Have a look at the end where Karma is set up to render in the background with TOPs.
                        > I suggest it be possible for Vray to render in this way as I find it extreemly handy.

That's the whole point of Hydra Delegates - we don't need to do anything to support this...
                        So, as hsz suggested we'll need a .hip file to figure out what's wrong with your particular setup.
                        Support Request

Comment

Thanks so much hsz, That works for me!, it's rendering now haha!

Thanks as well bdancer. Sorry for being so stupid. The problem was between the chair and the computer, not with Vray.

Problem solved.

I apologise for being a pain and I really, really appreciate your help.
                          Last edited by stevejjd; 21-02-2024, 02:39 AM.

Comment

> Problem solved.
                            > I apologise for being a pain and I really, really appreciate your help.​

No worries at all, glad it finally worked for you!
                            Support Request

Comment

Working...
                            X