Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• (Fixed) [HOU-2891] 'Renderable' primitive attribute

Hi guys,

I'm developing our scattering/environments toolset - looks awesome so far, will be posting tests in Jan. Before we migrate to USD in Q1 or Q2, we're packing proxies - for viewport, and render geometry, together in an asset. We can hide the render geometry from the viewport before packing, but can't make the proxy geometry not render without unpack and delete. That unpack is quite costly with millions of instances.

It would be great if we could set renderable state as a primitive attribute.

Thanks!
    Hristo Velev
    MD/FX Lead, Bottleship VFX
    Sofia, Bulgaria

Hey Hristo,

I'm with you on this and kinda asked for something similar to Gosho the other week, my wish was to be able to use the object properties as primitive attributes, this would include the "Renderable" option from the object properties.
    From what Gosho explained, this is feasible but would be limited toprimitive attributes "live" in the geometry, not packed. eg; read a packed alembic and add an attribute on top of it.

Best,
    David.
    David Anastácio // Accenture Song - VFX
    https://www.accenture.com/us-en/serv...visual-effects

Comment

Thanks, that would actually work - you'd generally want to do these things on top of the input geometry.
      Hristo Velev
      Sofia, Bulgaria

Comment

We load the asset as a HDA that has the render and proxy alembics and some operations inside - naming, packing etc, the renderable could go there
        Hristo Velev
        Sofia, Bulgaria

Comment

Hello,

The devs have added the option of using the primitive integer i@vray_renderable attribute for packed primitives and packed alembic primitives. The change is in the nightly builds starting Dec. 28, 2021.

Hope that helps!
          gosho.genchev@chaosgroup.com

Comment

That's nice, thanks!
            Hristo Velev
            Sofia, Bulgaria

Comment

Working...
            X