OSL displacement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OSL displacement

Its a very big problem right now for me to not be able to use OSL textures as displacement. Why are they not usable? Surely they can be evaluated as easily as color?
    The procedurals that are included with vray are not very comprehensive at all and to not have the option to write a quick OSL shader is a very large handicap.

What I was needing was a cellular texture with a time control. This would be easy to write as OSL if only it worked for displacement.

What exactly doesn't work for you?

Click image for larger version  Name:	07_11_2023_11-21-23.png Views:	0 Size:	1.20 MB ID:	1194500
    Last edited by bdancer; 07-11-2023, 04:35 AM.
    V-Ray For Houdini | V-Ray Hydra Delegate | VRayScene
    andrei.izrantcev@chaos.com
    Support Request

Comment

Originally posted by bdancer View Post
      What exactly doesn't work for you?

Click image for larger version Name:	07_11_2023_11-21-23.png Views:	0 Size:	1.20 MB ID:	1194500
      I can confirm that it's work with displacement:

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.png
Views:	172
Size:	828.5 KB
ID:	1194526

But, that uvwgen input of the OSL shader isn't doing anything, no matter if I plug in a world, object, or UV named texture nodes, the result is always the same. I tried with the noise maps here: https://docs.chaos.com/display/OSLSh...cedural+noises

What am I missing here?

best,
      David.
      David Anastácio // Accenture Song - VFX
      https://www.accenture.com/us-en/serv...visual-effects

Comment

I tried an allagator noise and it didn't displace. That + the manual saying that displacement doesnt work let me to think that it wasn't working.
        it might be because I had some uv modifications.

I will try again! Thanks for the replies.
        Last edited by Dubbie99; 07-11-2023, 04:35 PM.

Comment

There was an issue exporting OSL uvwgen which is fixed in the nightly, however this particular osl shader is not using any UV at all. Could you pls try some other which actually uses UV?
          V-Ray For Houdini | V-Ray Hydra Delegate | VRayScene
          andrei.izrantcev@chaos.com
          Support Request

Comment

Working...
          X