Maya scene with bad vrmesh paths loads insanely slow

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Maya scene with bad vrmesh paths loads insanely slow

I have an old Maya scene with thousands of vrmesh files. Unfortunately the path to these vrmesh files no longer exists, so I need to repath all them.
    The problem is that opening the scene takes forever, I assume because Maya is trying to hunt down the vrmesh files on its own.
    Even once I get one of the smaller scenes to actually finish loading, launching the File Path Editor seems to again send Maya looking for the vrmesh files, and I have to wait once again to get control of Maya back.

Is there a workaround for repathing vrmesh files that will avoid these wait times? Or a way to open the scene and have Maya not try to resolve the bad vrmesh paths?

Are the scene files saved as .ma? If so you could open up in text edit and find and replace the locations..

Comment

I'm almost sure it's a Maya thing, as I've seen it happen with assets that are not specific to V-Ray.
      Maya does a number of checks on scene open and on repath with the filepath editor on any asset to make sure it's found.
      The worst case would be Maya making a number of attempts on a non-existing network path.
      Like stezza suggested, if your scene is in .ma, you can edit the paths there... or just strip them, I don't know if there's another solution to this.
      Alex Yolov
      Product Manager
      V-Ray for Maya, Chaos Player
      www.chaos.com

Comment

Unfortunately the file is .mb.
        I saved the scene locally and then disconnected from the network prior to opening the file to get it to load much faster.
        Repathed the vrmeshes in the File Path Editor and then reconnected to the network. Voila!
        Thanks for the ideas!

Comment

if you used unc paths, there is no way around it unless you save to .ma and text edit it. Unc path will try to resolve and timeout for each of the vray meshes, its not really a vray issue more of a windows issue
          Dmitry Vinnik
          Silhouette Images Inc.
          ShowReel:
          https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qxSJlvSwAhA
          https://www.linkedin.com/in/dmitry-v...-identity-name

Comment

Working...
          X