Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dome Light Resolution

Hi all

Apologies if this has been asked before but how is the Dome light resolution worked out?

If I put in 2048, does this mean the length of the Spherical map will be calculated as if 2048 (so 2048x1012)

And so if I have a 16000x8000 Spherical map, and I want to render at full res, should I input 16000 in the Dome Light 'Texture Resolution'?

Cheers

DomeLight Texture resolution is only taken into account for the importance sampling, i.e. glossy Refractions/Reflection and other blurry effect like DOF, MB and etc.
    More information about the importance sampling could be found here:
    https://docs.chaosgroup.com/display/...rtanceSampling

For all non-blurry rays like Camera Rays, non-glossy Reflections and Refractions V-Ray will always use the full resolution of the image.
    Svetlozar Draganov | Senior Manager 3D Support | contact us
    Chaos & Enscape & Cylindo are now one!

Comment

Like Svetlozar explained, the resolution is only used for sampling. The default value works fine for most cases regardless of the actual resolution of the bitmap. You will still see the original bitmap where it matters.

Best regards,
      Vlado
      I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

Cool, cheers.

'You will still see the original bitmap where it matters.' Great, cheers - I was wondering this, as in testing, the reflection looks the same regardless of the Texture Resolution setting.

Out of interest if I set the Texture Resolution as 2048 would the importance sampling for glossy Refractions etc. be something like 45.25 samples (so 45.25x54.25)?

Cheers

Comment

I doubt there is a way to calculate the exact number of samples for anything. This is very complex equation which is affected by lot of variables.
          Svetlozar Draganov | Senior Manager 3D Support | contact us
          Chaos & Enscape & Cylindo are now one!

Comment

Working...
          X