render elements and linear workspace

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by francomanko View Post
    So im just trying to figure out if this is whats expected to happen?
    It still seems correct to me, here's why:

The image is indeed 0.5 grey, but there's an sRGB correction on top of it in the maya file node, making it darker. The gloss channel reads 0.25-ish as expected. With sRGB applied in the VFB it should be correct in this setup.
    The gloss channel receives the outAlpha, and here's where things get a bit strange. Since it's a jpg, there's no alpha and Maya is somehow calculating the alpha (I don't know how) when 'alpha is luminance' is off. When it's on, it's all good.

Meaning that the correct setup should be raw color space in the file node, when sRGB is disabled in the VFB, or sRGB in the file node when sRGB in the VFB is enabled. It might be that maya software is automatically doing alpha as luminance with jpg.outAlpha.
    Alex Yolov
    Product Manager
    V-Ray for Maya, Chaos Player
    www.chaos.com

Comment

Thanks I appreciate your help, is this what people are doing because it just seems a bizarre workflow. Eitherway im not convinced its working correctly and it definitely seems im back in the linear workflow hole of confusion again....arrghhhhh
      Last edited by francomanko; 19-11-2018, 03:30 PM.
      e: info@adriandenne.com
      w: www.adriandenne.com

Comment

Originally posted by yolov View Post

I thought that's what we tried to do. It might not be the perfect solution, we'll give it more thought.
        At the moment, without that environment variable enabled, utility passes are unaffected by the sRGB toggle, and appear too dark in the frame buffer. Maybe a bug or problem with how it's implemented, if the intention already is to have the utility passes still have sRGB (but ignore the color corrections) when the environment variable is disabled?
        To be clear, by color corrections I mean everything in the "corrections control" panel, excluding the "Display colors in sRGB" toggle.

I guess it's a complex issue. I'd prefer utility passes to be shown in sRGB, but ignore color corrections, and my colleague prefers showing them with color corrections. Maybe it'd be helpful to get input from more power users. In any case, let us know what you work out
        Last edited by dgruwier; 20-11-2018, 08:09 AM.
        __
        https://surfaceimperfections.com/

Comment

I guess, it's poll time
          Alex Yolov
          Product Manager
          V-Ray for Maya, Chaos Player
          www.chaos.com

Comment

Working...
          X