Looking for a way to create a "draw on" effect

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for a way to create a "draw on" effect

I want to create an animated mask that I could use to control the "draw on" effect of tire tracks in snow/sand.

I have used nice c4d plugin called UVWlaser that does this:

https://www.c4dzone.com/en/shop/plug...-1-0-1-266.htm

Is there a recommended way of doing this using Maya or V-Ray?

I was wondering if the distance tex could be modified so that it leaves behind a trace that could be baked into a texture map?

As far as I can tell there is not an obvious way of creating uvw/distance based wetmaps/masks in Maya.

I know this might not be 100% v-ray related but if anyone knows of a good way to do this I'd really appreciate the help.

Director & 3D Artist at Focal CGI

The way I've done it in the past is to render out the VRayDistanceTex for each frame as a sequence, then create a sequence in AE or Nuke where all the previous frames are visible in each new frame. Alternatively, make a long piece of geometry for the entire track, use that in VRayDistance and use VRayClipper or some other boolean or rigging method to animate the mesh appearing along with the wheels. I've also done it in 3Ds Max with particles, don't know if Maya has anything similar.

I don't know if a way to make VRayTex persistent, I'd be interested in something like that too.
    Last edited by dgruwier; 16-09-2019, 05:08 AM.
    __
    https://surfaceimperfections.com/

Comment

Thanks for the suggestion. That's a good idea.

The only other option I can think of is to cache my animation and use Blenders Dynamic Paint or the C4D plugin.
      Director & 3D Artist at Focal CGI

Comment

I think there is also a way with Phoenix FD to get traces ("wet map")

Comment

Working...
        X