AO pass with refractive object

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AO pass with refractive object

This seems to be a problem that comes up for a lot of people and I'm surprised I'm even asking this question, but is there a better solution to needing an AO render element with an object removed than having to create a separate render layer?

I have a scene with a single refractive glass object in it, with objects behind it. Since there is no way that I'm aware of to get a true refracted AO pass using the Vray extra tex + dirt map method, the next best thing is to simply remove the glass object from the AO pass.

But so far as I'm aware the only way to do this is to set up a second render pass/layer. The exclude lists (which, frankly, with an AO pass have always been super confusing with three of them across the render element and the texture itself, all with both include and exclude options) do not seem capable of removing an object from the pass completely. They can only control whether they participate in AO calculations. So I can get a black glass, but that completely occludes the objects behind it. Surely there has to be another way to deal with this?

Try excluding the glass from the VRayExtraTex and switching its affect channels parameter to all channels.
    Aleksandar Hadzhiev | chaos.com
    Chaos Support Representative | contact us

Comment

In most cases this approach will still require a second render layer just for the AO pass as turning on All Channels in a refractive object has the effect of making alpha transparent behind it, causing all sorts of further ripple issues. As I know has been mentioned before, it would be great to have a fourth refractive option to affect all channels except alpha. Or, just another means of generating an AO pass that is capable of producing refracted results.

Comment

Working...
      X