Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• V-ray distance problem

Hi Guys,

I am having some problems with the v-ray distance tex.
    Here is what is happening i am trying to mimic a max workflow when using the distance texture.
    I was trying to mimic adam martin workflow, something really simple. He plugged a texture on the distance texture atribute.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Capturar.JPG Views:	0 Size:	138.8 KB ID:	1091063

In maya i tried to do something similar beacause we dont have a input where we can input a texture in the distance and still input a value for the distance and change both at the same time as we do in max.
    So what i did was that i used a layered texture and in the first layer a i was just input the numerical value for the distance in the texture slot of the layer (changing the value slot).
    In the second layer i was plugging a texture and selecting the add blending mode but the result was affecting the whole radius of the distance. I never was abble to get the same result.

Click image for larger version  Name:	unknown.png Views:	0 Size:	122.7 KB ID:	1091064

Thanks Guys

I'll see if we can do something about this. Try plugging the Layered Tex (you may use a Ramp to set up a vignetting effect) in the Near Color slot; this will allow you to control the diameter through the distance value.
    Aleksandar Hadzhiev | chaos.com
    Chaos Support Representative | contact us

Comment

I use te ramp inside the layered texture? Or after the distance node?

Comment

Inside the Layered Texture so as to get a similar to the mapped distance tex (in 3ds Max) vignetting effect.

Comment

Hi Aleksandar!

This is what happens when i plug the ramp in the near color slot!
          Click image for larger version

Name:	Capturar.JPG
Views:	524
Size:	19.0 KB
ID:	1092739
          Do you have any other idea?
          Attached Files

Comment

Simply put your splatter texture in the Near Color slot. The mentioned ramp was just an additional process for finetuning.

Comment

Hi hermit! i was never abble to make this work. To day i was trying to do something similiar in the radius slot of the vray dirt and got a similar result! You were able to find a way around this?

Comment

Hi,
                I am struggling with the Vray DistanceTexture in Maya for a while, trying to achive the same results, as shown in Maya Distance Texture Help (or what is shownin many MAX turtorials). MAX has got in its Vray Distance Texture Help demo scenes.

Can I kindly ask, please, for making a showing Maya demo scene, where it is working, as shown in the Help ? I mean a texture working in Distance slot, creating ripples around objects made by Ramp texture in Near Color slot. The only result, what I was able to achive, were ripples in the center of the pPlane, but not along the objects.
                Attached Files

Comment

martin_weiss Check this thread. Note that the Ramp must be V Ramp. For circular - VRayDistanceTex's Red channel should go to both U an V.
                  Last edited by hermit.crab; 20-02-2023, 01:23 AM.

Comment

Thank you hermit.crab very much ! You made my day!
                    Last edited by martin_weiss; 20-02-2023, 09:54 AM.

Comment

i'm not sure if this is what you are looking for

Name:	image.png
Views:	307
Size:	164.9 KB
ID:	1173916

You can connect any bitmap to the distance texture channel

Views:	272
Size:	49.4 KB
ID:	1173917

and control the distance amount with the file´s alpha gain channel value

Views:	280
Size:	8.0 KB
ID:	1173918​​​

Comment

Thanks Aleks, that was a very helpful scene file.Perhaps the docs can explain better in the future
                        https://www.artstation.com/damaggio

Comment

Originally posted by damaggio View Post
                          Thanks Aleks, that was a very helpful scene file.Perhaps the docs can explain better in the future
                          Yes, we've already added info about it.

Comment

Working...
                          X