Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

V-Ray 5 new proxy node -> Reload function?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• V-Ray 5 new proxy node -> Reload function?

Hi all,

we have a quite complex scene with a lot of proxy nodes. For one object we discovered that there was a double geometry which causes render errors. So we open the Maya scene for that object, delete the double geometry and write out a new proxy with the exact same name. I thought that the proxy node in the big scene will read out the updated vrmesh file without problems. But all proxy now render white (with a default material).

In the AE all shaders are there and all looks fine. We also deleted the proxy cache in the RS.

Is there somewhere a sort of Reload button for the proxy node?

Using Maya 2022.1 + V-Ray 5.1.0.2 under Windows 10.

Thanks for help,
    Lars

If you just change the secondary ray bias to 0.001 in the Overides>Rendeing settings. this should solve double geo issue.

Comment

Thanks. Good to know.

But still curious to know if you can reload a vrmesh / proxy.

Comment

We don't have a reload option, but we can think about adding one.
        Just one question - when you say you've updated the file, this means you've overwritten it on disk. Then, did you reopen the 'big scene' or was the scene still open in a running Maya session?
        Alex Yolov
        Product Manager
        V-Ray for Maya, Chaos Player
        www.chaos.com

Comment

Yes, it was overwritten on disk. The big scene was closed and we open it again. When we now render an image within Maya the proxy objects render grey. Same on the render clients.

To solve this, we had to import the files again. We do this by importing the Maya file with the proxy node inside.

Strange thing is that the shaders are all there and no textures are missing. It seems that the vrmesh looses all "connections" to the shaders.

Comment

Based on the above, am I correct to assume the proxy was in a Maya file, that was referenced in another Maya file?
            Alex Yolov
            Product Manager
            www.chaos.com

Comment

The proxy is in a Maya file and that was imported (not referenced) in the big scene. We found that way easier for our colleague than importing the vrmesh. Should make no difference, or?

Comment

Just FYI, we've logged an improvement request (internal bug-tracker id: VMAYA-10701) for an "Update" feature of the new VRayProxy node.
                Aleksandar Hadzhiev | chaos.com
                Chaos Support Representative | contact us

Comment

I tried what was described and I don't see a problem on my end, at least not with the V-Ray/Maya versions I'm testing with. Everything updates on scene reopen and material overrides are in place.
                  Can you tell me your Maya and V-Ray versions? You can get the V-Ray version from the V-Ray menu > About.
                  Alex Yolov
                  Product Manager
                  www.chaos.com

Comment

yolov Maya 2022.1 and V-Ray 5.10.21

It does not happen all the time. We can do some more test after we finished the current production. Perhaps we can prepare a scene for you.

Thanks Aleksandar for the update.

Comment

That would be very helpful, thanks!
                      In the meantime - just changing anything in the proxy filepath will trigger an update, I hope this helps.
                      Alex Yolov
                      Product Manager
                      www.chaos.com

Comment

Working...
                      X