USD: VRay Object Properties?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• USD: VRay Object Properties?

There doesn't appear to be any way add VRay Object Properties to USD prims in Maya, for example if I wanted to disable shadow casting. Is this on the To-Do list?

Hey, no this is not possible at the moment.
    But it is on our to-do list. We'll have to research what the possibilities are for this, but it's on our list.
    Alex Yolov
    Product Manager
    V-Ray for Maya, Chaos Player
    www.chaos.com

Comment

Thank you Alex. I think this will be pretty crucial for any kind of production rendering.

Comment

Hello, has there been any movement on this front? We still need a way to handle primary/secondary/matte visibility before any real work can be done in Maya USD/V-Ray. I don't see a place where these can be added as V-Ray attributes, nor any mechanism in Maya USD for controlling visibility. It all works great on the V-Ray for Houdini side. I actually tried exporting a stage with some Matte properties set in Houdini, but V-Ray for Maya ignores it. Are there any workarounds?
        Thank you.

Comment

The part that writes object properties from Maya to USD is almost working internally. It still needs a bit more work.
          We need to work on rendering object properties encoded in USD in Maya separately (f.e. when it's written from houdini and transferred to Maya).

I can ping you if you want to test drive some experimental builds when the time comes.
          Let me know how this sounds.
          Alex Yolov
          Product Manager
          V-Ray for Maya, Chaos Player
          www.chaos.com

Comment

That would be great Alex, I would be happy to test it when ready. Thanks for the update.

Comment

I agree, this is pretty much preventing us from using USD in a real production environment. I'd happy to try out some experimental builds in future as well!

Comment

I'll be happy to try out these experimental builds as well, besides bringing back stuff from Houdini and reading those attributes, I guess this also would allow reading the same attributes for example if I set them in Bifrost USD, right? since USD attributes are the same no matter what.

Comment

Working...
                X