X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VrayMtl from 3.60.05 to be render the same in 5.00

Hello,

Nice to meet you!
    I'm currently in the series Animation industry and for a future production in our studio, i need to match the look and feel of assets made in Maya2015 - vray 3.60.05 with Maya 2020 - vray 5.00.
    I've read the page about rendering with old assets : https://docs.chaos.com/display/VMAYA...ossy%20Fresnel
    My question is what value i need to tweak in the "reflection" section of the Vray Material to get exactly the same. But instead of tweaking the shaders manually, i'm expecting figure out a batch process to convert a big amount of asset.

Click image for larger version  Name:	2022_04_01_13_02_09_specularDiff.png Views:	0 Size:	477.1 KB ID:	1144321

I 've tried to play with the Reflection Amount / Reflection Glossiness / Fresnel to reach the same specular, but while doing this, i change the reflection to something more blurry.( obviously i want to change the specular roughness instead of the reflection roughness )

Click image for larger version  Name:	2022_04_01_12_57_41_attributesEditorMtl.png Views:	0 Size:	105.8 KB ID:	1144323

1. Maybe, there is an hidden parameter to be modified, how can i make it visible again?

2. is there a kind of Mathematic formula / expression for batching convertion of the shader to fit the same look? again the idea is to apply it to an amont of asset...

I'm assuming this question is more dedicated to the developper team, but maybe one of you have been in the same situation and are agree to share your solution.

Thank you for your time to read me;

Pierre.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by technical_service; 01-04-2022, 06:24 AM.

In V-Ray 5, the highlight and regular reflection glossiness are always locked, which is most likely the reason for the differences. You can try simulating separate highlight reflections by adding a Coat layer, where the glossiness value matches the old shader's. A script might be able to automate this conversion.
    Aleksandar Hadzhiev | chaos.com
    Chaos Support Representative | contact us

Comment

Hi Aleksandar,
      Thank you for your quick response,
      I'm a bit confused about your solution, as i don't know really how to manage highlight and reflection separately as you said, it's locked... Currently i have in the exemple here a VrayBlendMat with two coat layers, the first one is very soften spec ( kind of Diffuse color in fact... not really important for the case),

the second one (VrayMtl5 in the pic) is handled the reflection/highlight.

Click image for larger version

Name:	2022_04_05_11_28_42_588_021_072_AnyDesk.png
Views:	167
Size:	281.8 KB
ID:	1144580

If i switch off the "VrayMtl5" to get two new coat layer, one for reflection, one for hilight/specular,
      how can i found the way to keep the same settings for reflection but without the hilight/spec ? (for me, this is the point to figure out)
      For the second havind the spec only is very easy, just need to cut the "Trace Reflections"

Let me know , thank you so much,
      I would really like to use Vray 5 to render theses assets, as our pipeline doesn't work for maya2015...

By the way, is it possible to use Vray 3.60.05 in maya 2020 ?

Thank you,

Pierre

Comment

Originally posted by technical_service View Post
        If i switch off the "VrayMtl5" to get two new coat layer, one for reflection, one for hilight/specular,
        how can i found the way to keep the same settings for reflection but without the hilight/spec ? (for me, this is the point to figure out)
        For the second havind the spec only is very easy, just need to cut the "Trace Reflections"
        Not sure if you can through the shader; multiple lights might work, where some have "affect specular" disabled. Otherwise, what's the reason for doing this? The setup you shared should yield similar to 3.6 results. Did it not?

By the way, is it possible to use Vray 3.60.05 in maya 2020 ?
        Sorry to say, no. There aren't any 3.6 builds for Maya 2020.

Comment

Hi,

Not sure if you can through the shader; multiple lights might work, where some have "affect specular" disabled.
          I can't add multiple light to manage this, this should complicated the process and add a strong list of light linking....
          i don't know yet how much shader VrayMtl i will need to tweak (per asset) to get the same result compare to vray 3.60.05. don't know the name, the value of the roughness, etc. it can be a tough job, without any possibilities to batch...

Otherwise, what's the reason for doing this? The setup you shared should yield similar to 3.6 results. Did it not?
          no, that 's why i'm asking, i was trying to separate the reflection from the highlight to reach the same look from 3.60.05.

Now, i wonder if i shouldn't try to test the asset with Maya 2018 / vray 3.60.05, if it works, no need to change the shaders at all, and 2018 is compatible with our tools... i've read 3.60 is supported for maya 2018 , right?

Again, i'm trying to figure out the smart way to do the production. i was expecting rendering in vray5 and get the same result, unfortunatly not...

Thank you for your help!

Pierre.

Comment

i've read 3.60 is supported for maya 2018 , right?
            Yes, it is.

i was expecting rendering in vray5 and get the same result, unfortunatly not...
            A lot of time has passed since 3.6. Things are bound to change sooner or later.

Comment

Working...
            X